This page covers the following courses:
- PGCE Primary Education with QTS
- PGCE Primary Mathematics Specialist with QTS
- PGCE Primary Physical Education Specialist with QTS
It has been created to give you all the information you need to prepare for your interview. It is essential that you read all the sections carefully. Please note for these courses we’re offering online and on campus interviews. Please make sure you’re reading the right guidance for the interview you have been allocated as there will be differences.
- You will be required to attend the University – your interview will be conducted face-to-face, on campus.
- You should now have received an email from our Admissions Team with the date and time of your interview. If you do not think you have received this, please contact our Admissions Team [email protected]
- You need to confirm that you will be available for your interview by completing our interview reply form.
- Please find our online campus map for your reference
- If you are planning to drive to the Campus, then please aim to arrive at least 30 minutes before your sign in time. This should enable you to park your car (in Car Park C – see online map) and walk to the registration point (the foyer in ‘the Faculty of Education: Lakeside’ – see online map).
- You will need to display your parking notice clearly on your dashboard. Please download your copy, print and bring this with you.
What we’re looking for
The interview has been structured to enable you to demonstrate your commitment to becoming a teacher and your enthusiasm for education. You need to show that you can engage in discussion, contributing both as a speaker and as a listener. You will also be given the opportunity to demonstrate the contribution that you could make to the PGCE programme and, ultimately, to the education of children.
Throughout the interview process we will be looking for you to demonstrate:
- a commitment to and enthusiasm for working with children,
- strong verbal and written communication skills,
- the personal attributes and values required to train as a teacher,
- the ability to reflect on experiences and the learning taken from these.
Our aim at interview is to be able to identify the highest quality candidates. Therefore, performance in all aspects of the interview will be taken into consideration:
- Interview tasks (including the written, maths and group tasks)
- Individual interview
It is essential that you:
- dress appropriately. You should present yourself as a future professional.
- have read all the information on this page and made a note of the items you need to have with you and any questions that you want to ask during your interview.
- have thought about, and can explain, why you want to teach children in the Primary age range.
- have familiarised yourself with current educational issues. Useful publications include:
What to expect on the day of your interview
- You should allow approximately 3 hours for the interview process.
- You will be invited to either a morning OR afternoon interview session. The table below outlines the structure of the interview process but this may slightly vary on the day:
|Morning Session||Morning Session|
|8.30am||Sign in at Registration Point*|
|8.45am – 9.30am||Welcome and instructions|
|9.30am – 11am||Tasks and interview take place|
|11am – 12pm||Take qualifications to Admissions: building 4 on map. Optional Campus Tour|
|Afternoon Session||Afternoon Session|
|12.30pm||Sign in at Registration Point*|
|12.45pm – 1.30pm||Welcome and instructions|
|1.30pm – 3pm||Tasks and interview take place|
|3pm – 4pm||Take qualifications to Admissions: building 4 on map. Optional Campus Tour|
The interview will consist of different parts:
- A written task: you will be asked to complete a short, written task whereby you need to answer a given question (pens and paper will be provided).
- A Maths task: you will answer a series of Maths-related questions. Please bring a device (eg mobile phone) which allows you to scan a QR code.
- A group task: you will be required to discuss something related to a Primary classroom, as part of a group.
- An individual interview: you will be required to answer a series of questions designed to assess your suitability for the course.
- An optional self-guided campus tour: you will have the opportunity to wander round our beautiful and stunning campus.
- There are several food outlets across the campus available for you (and anyone else who may accompany you on the day) to purchase refreshments.
What to have with you on the day
Please have with you your original photographic ID (i.e. current valid passport or photo-card driving licence). Your ID will be checked prior to the start of the process. If you do not have suitable ID on the day, you may not be able to take part in the interview and may have to reschedule for an alternative date.
You will need to bring hard copies of your Degree (if completed), GCSE Maths, English (Language or Literature) and Science at Grade C/4 or above. If you have changed your name since the certificates were issued, please provide evidence of your name change (e.g. marriage certificate, change of name deed poll etc).
Please ensure you bring a device that will scan a QR code (eg a mobile phone)
If you have any questions about your ID or qualifications, please contact our Admissions Team via email [email protected] prior to your interview.
We look forward to meeting you at your interview. If you have any questions or special requirements that you would like to discuss with us prior to your interview, you can contact us in the following ways: