To help you feel prepared for your BSc (Hons) Business & Management studies, we’ve gathered together a range of course related activities including suggested reading, useful websites and some great things to do right now. Read on to find out more.
You’ll be given far more information about which textbooks to read and introduced to the University Library, as well as the many ebooks we have for you to access when you begin your studies. And we don’t recommend rushing out to buy texts before you arrive. But if you can pick up a second hand copy, borrow from a library, or access online, just one textbook is recommended to help you to prepare for your Year 1 modules:
- Boddy, D. 2020, Management: using practice and theory to develop skill, 8th edn, Pearson, Harlow, England.
During your studies, detailed and updated reading lists are issued in the module handbooks, which are provided in the first session of each module.
You may also want to get a head start by reading up on general business and management subjects and ensuring that you are aware of the current local, regional, national and world developments taking place. Good quality daily newspapers business/management supplements, and magazines are an ideal starting ground for this knowledge
- To explore careers within the Business sector visit the prospects website
- Really review your chosen degree course structure and modules
- If you would like to organise your tasks and create a to-do list visit trello.com
Do something innovative
Use the links below to find out more:
- Create a business plan for a product or service you think you could launch. You may have the opportunity to create a limited company in our Graduate Enterprise module. Think about what business plan ideas you could pitch.
- If you enjoy graphic design or developing presentations, try creating some marketing material for a fictional company. Maybe a logo or an advertisement? Maybe your market your business plan pitch.
Learn about pitches
Watch the following videos to start thinking about pitches:
- Peter’s Threatened By Tech Tycoon | Dragons’ Den
- “Wait, You’ve Got a 90% Shareholder That Isn’t Here?” | Dragons’ Den
- Dragons Den Compilations
Suggested tasks for summer
After the pandemic, there are lots of opportunities to take advantage of live and current research, especially in the field of business and management. Through research you can expand your knowledge which will prove crucial throughout your degree, and maybe even at points within your future career. If you’d like to keep yourself busy, some quick activities are outlined below: