Film festivals, workshops, placements, industry networking, access to big organisations like the BBC… there are plenty of practical opportunities to build an impressive portfolio at Edge Hill. But studying Film, Media or Television is about more than that. You’ll develop intellectual and critical thinking skills and learn how your knowledge fits in with the creative process. From researching a topic for your dissertation to adopting industry production practices, you’ll learn what it takes to make it in this fast-paced field.
Film and Television lead and influence conversations around the world, while Media examines the powerful role it plays within culture and society. Explore the impact of technical breakthroughs, cultural shifts and political movements, while developing production skills and good old-fashioned storytelling on our innovative courses.
We’ve got the facilities, the teachers, the research expertise and the contacts you’ll need to uncover the secrets of the communications industry. Research, create a narrative, market and distribute your work. Analyse the subject. Put the art itself under the critical microscope. Whatever your career goals, you’ll develop the practical skills and confidence you need.
With Film, Media and TV degrees being assessed entirely through coursework, your portfolio will showcase your creativity and critical thinking. With real client briefs built into our courses, and links to big players like the BBC and Tate Liverpool, you’ll graduate with the full package, ready to step right in to the world of work, or take your studies further.
- You won’t just learn in the lecture theatre. These are also practical courses, and you’ll work on real client briefs. You’ll spend plenty of time in and out of the studios making things, mastering the industry-standard technology, learning about this business from the inside.
- Lecturers have worked in the industry and know what it takes to make it. They’ve published research on everything from The Muppets to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And they regularly invite their contacts to campus so you can meet the pros.
- Just like film, media and television crews in the outside world, we’re a very communal and supportive department. You’ll have lots of contact time with your tutors, including regular one-to-one sessions.
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
I’m fascinated by the media and the power it has to affect so many people.
BA (Hons) Media
Film, Media and Television in the News
- Student awarded prestigious Royal Television Society bursary
- More Than Time: film showing Liverpool in the time of Covid-19
EHU Insight on The Conversation
- Confederate and Black America: why clashes at Charlottesville show Civil War alt-histories are more than just fantasy
- Cannes gets an added dose of drama as Netflix makes its festival debut
- Fears for blue tang fish spike in the wake of Finding Dory
- Stop portraying wild animals as cuddly companions (and potential pets)
The Lonely Arts Club Podcast
Film, Media and Television students benefit from high-definition television studios with broadcast capacity and full production capabilities.
The facilities include camera channels that can be operated via either a studio configuration or hand-held setup, as well as production galleries and control rooms with reference lighting.
There is a fully independent talk back system to all studio areas, while a Media Asset Management system ensures a seamless tapeless workflow and provides network storage for your work.
Based in the £17million Creative Edge, you can expect to use industry standard equipment such as vision mixers, sound mixing consoles, a chroma key infinity wall, and fully populated motorised lighting rigs. Media editing booths are also available.
Creative Edge 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including film, media and television, through a series of online activities.
You can view exclusive video content, including pre-recorded presentations about the University and our courses, take a virtual tour of the campus, and find out more about student life, accommodation and student support.