Kenny is Programme Leader for Sports Coaching related degrees. Kenny is a Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching and joined Edge Hill in September 2008. Kenny has experience both coaching and playing at a professional and semi-professional level. Kenny coaches primarily with football players within the specific ages of 17 and above.
Kenny has educated professional players, coached and scouted in Professional League football and previously worked at The FA as a Coach Educator aiding those players/coaches in grassroots football right through to elite level performance. Kenny is interested in improving the quality of both players and coaches at the respective ages and levels noted above. Kenny additionally holds the prestigious UEFA A Licence coaching qualification and the FA Youth Award.
Kenny’s research focuses on the application between coaching pedagogy and practice. Kenny’s interests lie within areas of pedagogical practice and application to enhance understanding in a coaching setting and elite level coaching practice within football.
This interest has led to particular research and conference attendance and delivery contributions covering The Use of headcams to investigate coach learning within elite coach education and practice to SPLISS, Antwerp, Belgium and also Coach learning in ‘Elite Coach Education’: The possibilities of auto ethnographical coaching practice via head mounted cameras for the European Sports Development Network Conference (ESDN).
- Passion and paranoia: An embodied tale of emotion, identity, and pathos in sports coaching.
- Children’s voices in mini soccer: an exploration of critical incidents
- Exploring the interplay between learning, knowledge, biography and practice: The tale of an experienced track and field athletics coach.
- Lev Vygotsky: Learning Through Social Interaction in Coaching.
- Mind games in amateur boxing