I have been working in the Business School at Edge Hill University since 2009 in roles as Senior Lecturer, Head of Year (Business Management programmes), Programme Leader for Business Management programmes, and since 2020 I have been the Associate Director (Student Experience). I have spent most of my time lecturing and writing in the operations management and logistics/supply chain fields, but I am also experienced in lecturing in economics, marketing and various other areas.
During my time in industry I worked in Project Management on large international contracts and as a Management Trainer and Consultant, providing solutions for clients to take their businesses forward. I have also worked as a Professional Development Manager for a large legal firm.
I have written a number of books on IT, operations management and strategy, but more recently, my predominant area of research is in agility within supply chains for which I have presented at various international conferences. I also have experience in the application of agility in education and have published in this area too. I supervise a number of postgraduate research doctorates.
Books / Book Chapters
- Naughton, S., DeWatteville, A. (1997). GNVQ Information Technology Advanced, Heinemann, ISBN-10:0435452592.
- Naughton, S. (2001). Understanding Operations Management in a Week, Hodder & Stoughton, ISBN 0-340-80145-X.
- Naughton, S. (2001). Understanding Operations Management in a Week, Hodder & Stoughton, in Thai, ISBN 0-340-80145-X.
- Naughton, S., Norton, B., Irving, R. (2003). Six Weeks to Strategic Excellence, Hodder & Stoughton, ISBN-13: 978-0340812600.
- “Outward Internationalization of Emerging Market Small & Medium Sized Enterprises: Influences of Contract Manufacturing Relationship with Developed Market Multinational Enterprises and Firm Learning.” February 2019, Book Chapter – Contemporary Issues in Entrepreneurship Research book series (Emerald): Volume 10 – International Entrepreneurship in Emerging Markets: Nature, Drivers, Barriers and Determinants. Resubmitted following amendment request in April 2019. Published 13/11/19.
- “Human Dynamics of Automation and Digitalisation of Economies: Discussion on the Challenges and Opportunities.” Submitted October 2019, Book Chapter for Business 2025: Sustainability and Digital Transformation, Palgrave MacMillan.
- Poster Presentation: “Developing and implementing a new Operations Management model in an F.E. College Business Studies department, its effectiveness and potential augmentation in other organizations.” 13 – 15 September 2010, Enhancing Practice 10 Conference. Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Poster Presentation: “Developing an Agile Supply Chain Model for SMEs.” April 2013. University of Liverpool.
- “Development of Agile Supply Chains in SMEs.” BAM (Newcastle) 2016.
- “Educational Agility – A Conceptual-Developmental Model.” BESA Conference 28/29 June 2018 (British Education Studies Association).
- “Binge Learning – A Conceptual-Developmental Model.” BESA Conference 28/29 June 2018 (British Education Studies Association).
- Vaasa IB Conference 19-21 August 2019. Co-author: “Marketing agility, top management’s network extensiveness and new product development in small and medium sized enterprises: theoretical discussion and propositions.”
- “Marketing agility, top management’s network extensiveness and new product development in small and medium sized enterprises: theoretical discussion and propositions.” Submitted July 2018, Journal of Strategic Marketing (2*).
- “Organizational culture, team task environment and individual experiences: influences on multicultural R&D team operations in high-tech SMEs.” November 2018, Journal of Business Research (3*). Resubmitted in September 2019 following feedback and amendment request.
- “Supply Chain Agility as an Acclimatisation Process to Environmental Uncertainty and Organisational Vulnerabilities: Insights from British SMEs.” Submitted October 2019, Production Planning & Control (3*).
I have written and taught many modules in the areas of:
- Operations Management
- Business and the Future
- Global Logistics and International Trade
- Business Environment
- International Business
- Internal and Relationship Marketing
- Business Strategy
- Employability and PPD
- Graduate Enterprise
- Global Influences on Organisations
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Information Technology
I have had the pleasure of being a Guest Lecturer at the prestigious Aarhus University Summer University for two years (Department of Economics and Business Economics at Økonomi, Inst. f/Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus Business Schools, Aarhus Unversitet).