Mark joined Edge Hill in 2009 after working in professional football as a coach, teacher and performance analyst at Wigan Athletic and Bolton Wanderers. Mark was the Head Coach of the Paralympic Sport Goalball leading up to London 2012. Mark still currently coaches in a football academy.
Mark’s research interests are in coaching practice, coach learning and the social influences on coaches’ practice and learning. Mark’s PhD focused on the (re)construction of coaching philosophy.
Mark coordinates and teaches a number of modules that integrate pedagogy and practical knowledge in coaching practice.
- The impact of video feedback on professional youth football coaches’ reflection and practice behaviour: a longitudinal investigation of behaviour change
- A critical analysis of the conceptualisation of ‘coaching philosophy’
- An investigation of the practice activities and coaching behaviours of professional top-level youth soccer coaches
- A review of the use of a systematic observation method in coaching research between 1997-2016
- An investigation of professional top-level youth football coaches’ questioning practice