Skip Navigation

Medical assistance

First aid

The Campus Support team is present on campus 24 hours a day. If you require medical assistance, call the emergency number 01695 584227 immediately.

Calling an ambulance on campus

If you live on campus and you need to call an ambulance due to an accident or illness ensure that you take the following steps:

1. Phone 999 to request an ambulance and clearly state the reason for the call.
2. Provide the operator with precise directions of where the ambulance is to go.
3. Contact Campus Support on 01695 584227 or 2222 (from an internal phone) and advise them that an ambulance has been called and where it is to go to. This is so Campus Support staff can prepare for its arrival and provide the quickest possible access.
4. If the ambulance has been called due to an accident, complete an Accident Report Form within 24 hours. This can be accessed via

Life threatening conditions

If you or someone else is experiencing the following symptoms, call 999 immediately.

  • Severe chest pain
  • Severe difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Severe loss of blood
  • Choking
  • Suspected stroke
  • Fitting or concussion
  • Drowning
  • Severe burns or scalds
  • Mental health crisis

If you live in Ormskirk, the nearest A&E department is at Southport and Formby District General Hospital.

NHS 111 urgent health advice service

If you are unsure whether you should visit the Emergency Department (A&E), or if you are experiencing an illness and injury in the evening or at the weekend, call NHS 111 for 24/7 urgent health advice.

GP out of hours service

If your injury or illness is not urgent then you can visit the walk-in centre at Ormskirk Hospital to be seen on the day, including weekends and bank holidays. See the walk-in centre webpage for information on opening times and what they can help with.

NHS choices

If you are not sure which service you need, the NHS choices website has a useful guide.

Registering with a General Practitioner (GP)

If you have not yet registered with a GP then we recommend that you do so immediately.

Find out more

Pharmacy treatment

Many minor ailments can be treated without the need to visit the GP. See this leaflet for information on how you might be able to get help from your local pharmacy.

Dental treatment

If you need emergency NHS dental treatment you can find more information about that on the Ravat and Ray NHS webpages. You can also click the link to find information about registering with Ravat and Ray as an NHS patient.