||Dr Yannis Korkontzelos
Department of Computer Science
Edge Hill University
|Phone: 01695 654393
Email: Yannis Korkontzelos
Personal web page
Yannis is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Science, with a research focus on a variety of subfields of Natural Language Processing and Text Mining, such as compositional semantics, multiword expression and term extraction, document classification and sentiment analysis, applied to a number of domains, such as biomedicine, social sciences, social media, open source software and scientific publications.
Yannis holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of York, an MPhil in Computer Text, Speech and Internet Technology from the University of Cambridge and a first class honours Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
Prior to joining the Department of Computer Science, Edge Hill University, he was employed as a Research Fellow at the National Centre for Text Mining (NaCTeM), University of Manchester. Among other projects, he was involved in the development, write up and successful completion of OSSMETER, an EU FP7 STReP project that developed an innovative platform for automatically analysing and measuring open-source software to support decision makers in the process of discovering, comparing, assessing and monitoring the health, quality, impact and activity of open-source software. He was also involved in ISHER (Integrated Social History Environment for Research – Digging into Social Unrest), one of the 14 projects that won the second Digging Into Data Challenge (JISC) in 2011. The project resulted in an integrated environment that indexes all articles published in the New York times in 20 years. The environment can be used as a novel exploratory tool for scientists to answer research questions quickly and accurately.
External Academic Activities
- The 2015 International Conference on Big Data and Smart Computing (BigComp 2015), Jeju island, South Korea
- Mining Big Text 2015 workshop, Yonsei University, Seoul, South Korea
- Kyunghee University, Seoul, South Korea
Reviewing research grant proposals
- FONDECYT, the National Fund for Scientific and Technological Development, Chile (Fondo Nacional de Desarrollo Cientifico y Tecnologico).
- IWT, the research and innovation funding agency of the Flemish (Belgian) government.
- The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), Switzerland / European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST) Action IC1207.
Reviewer in journals
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
- Computational Intelligence
- International Journal of Artificial Intelligence Tools
- BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making
- Special Issue on Multiword Expressions on ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing
- Natural Language Engineering
- Methods of Information in Medicine
- Journal of Internet and Information Systems
Adaptive Systems, Intelligent Computing and Applications track at the 6th International Conference on Emerging Ubiquitous Systems and Pervasive Networks (EUSPN-2016)
Program committee member in conferences and workshops
NLPIT 2016, SIMBig 2015, MWE 2012 – 2016, AICAS 2014-2016, BioTxtM 2014 and *SEM 2013
Reviewer in conferences and workshops
NAACL HLT 2016, AMIA 2015, RANLP 2015, ICAES-2014, IJCNLP 2013, SemEval-2013, COLING 2012, RANLP 2011, LOUHI 2011, LaTeCH 2011, MWE 2011, NAACL HLT 2010, ACL 2010, EMNLP 2010 and NAACL HLT 2009
SemEval-2013, Task 5: Evaluating Phrasal Semantics
- T. Mu, J. Goulermas, I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2015. Descriptive Clustering via Discriminant Learning in a Co-embedded Space of Multi-level Similarities. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, doi: 10.1002/asi.23374.
- I. Korkontzelos, D. Piliouras, A. Dowsey, and S. Ananiadou, 2015. Boosting Drug Named Entity Recognition using an Aggregate Classifier. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 65 (2), pages 145–153.
- A. Restificar, I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2013. A method for discovering and inferring appropriate eligibility criteria in clinical trial protocols without labeled data. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 13(Suppl. 1), S6.
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, B. Kolluru, P. Thompson and S. Ananiadou, 2013. Deploying and Sharing U-Compare Workflows as Web Services. Journal of Biomedical Semantics, 4:7.
- I. Korkontzelos, T. Mu and S. Ananiadou, 2012. ASCOT: a text mining-based web-service for efficient search and assisted creation of clinical trials. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 12(Suppl 1), S3.
- C. Mih?il?, R. T. B. Batista-Navarro, N. Alnazzawi, G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, R. Rak and P. Thompson, 2015. Mining the Biomedical Literature. Healthcare Data Analytics, 36, pages 251-286, CRC Press.
- I. Korkontzelos, 2014. Mining Big Textual Data. Big Data, Mining, and Analytics: Components of Strategic Decision Making, pages 231-256, editor: Stephan Kudyba, Auerbach Publications, CRC Press.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2014. Term Extraction. Oxford Handbook of Computational Linguistics 2nd edition, editor: Ruslan Mitkov, Oxford University Press.
In Conference Proceedings:
- D. Di Ruscio, D. Kolovos, I. Korkontzelos, N. Matragkas, and J. Vinju, 2015. OSSMETER: a software measurement platform for automatically analysing open source software projects. In Proceedings of the 2015 10th Joint Meeting on Foundations of Software Engineering Tool Demonstrations Track, pages 970-973, Bergamo, Italy.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2014. Locating Requests among Open Source Software Communication Messages. In Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’14), Reykjavik, Iceland, pages 1347-1354, European Language Resources Association.
- G. Kontonatsios, C. Mih?il?, I. Korkontzelos, P. Thompson, and S. Ananiadou, 2014. A hybrid approach to compiling bilingual dictionaries of medical terms from parallel corpora. In Statistical Language and Speech Processing, Second International Conference (SLSP 2014), Grenoble, France, pages 57-69, Springer.
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, J. Tsujii and S. Ananiadou, 2014. Combining string and context similarity for bilingual term alignment from comparable corpora. In Proceedings of the 14th Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, pages 1701–1712, Doha, Qatar
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, J. Tsujii and S. Ananiadou, 2014. Using a Random Forest Classifier to Compile Bilingual Dictionaries of Technical Terms from Comparable Corpora. In Proceedings of the 14th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics, volume 2: Short Papers, pages 111-116, Gothenburg, Sweden
- M. Miwa, P. Thompson, I. Korkontzelos, and S. Ananiadou, 2014. Comparable Study of Event Extraction in Newswire and Biomedical Domains. In Proceedings of COLING 2014, the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics: Technical Papers, pages 2270–2279, Dublin, Ireland.
- P. Thompson, R. Nawaz, I. Korkontzelos, W. Black, J. McNaught and S. Ananiadou, 2013. News Search Using Discourse Analytics. In Proceedings of the 2013 Digital Heritage International Congress, Marseille, France, pages 597-604, IEEE.
- G. Kontonatsios, P. Thompson, R. T. B. Batista-Navarro, C. Mih?il?, I. Korkontzelos, and S. Ananiadou, 2013. Extending an interoperable platform to facilitate the creation of multilingual and multimodal NLP applications. In Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- D. Piliouras, I. Korkontzelos, A. Dowsey, and S. Ananiadou, 2013. Dealing with data sparsity in Drug Named Entity Recognition. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), pages 14-21, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- R. T. B. Batista-Navarro, G. Kontonatsios, C. Mih?il?, P. Thompson, R. Rak, R. Nawaz, I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2013. Facilitating the Analysis of Discourse Phenomena in an Interoperable NLP Platform. In Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing, pages 559-571.
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2012. Developing Multilingual Text Mining Workflows in UIMA and U-Compare. In Natural Language Processing and Information Systems, pages 82-93.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Ananiadou, 2012. ASCOT: Assisting Search and Creation Of clinical Trials. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGHIT International Health Informatics Symposium (IHI 2012), pages 855-858, Miami, Florida, USA.
- F. M. Zanzotto, I. Korkontzelos, F. Fallucchi and S. Manandhar, 2010. Estimating Linear Models for Compositional Distributional Semantics. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2010), Beijing, China.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Manandhar, 2010. Can Recognising Multiword Expressions Improve Shallow Parsing? In Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL-HLT 2010), Los Angeles, California.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Manandhar, 2009. Detecting Compositionality in Multi-Word Expressions. In Proceedings of the joint conference of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 4th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing (ACL-IJCNLP), Singapore.
- I. Korkontzelos, I. Klapaftis and S. Manandhar, 2008. Reviewing and Evaluating Automatic Term Recognition Techniques. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Natural Language Processing, GoTAL 2008, Gothenburg, Sweden.
In Workshop Proceedings:
- D. Kolovos, N. Matragkas, I. Korkontzelos, S. Ananiadou and R. F. Paige, 2015. Assessing the Use of Eclipse MDE Technologies in Open-Source Software Projects. In proceedings of the Open Source Software for Model Driven Engineering Workshop (OSS4MDE’15) co-located with ACM/IEEE 18th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages & Systems (MoDELS 2015), Ottawa, Canada.
- B. Almeida, S. Ananiadou, A. Bagnato, A. Berreteaga, J. Di Rocco Barbero, D. Di Ruscio, D. Kolovos, I. Korkontzelos, S. Hansen, P. Maló, N. Matragkas, R. F. Paige, and J. Vinju, 2015. OSSMETER: Automated Measurement and Analysis of Open Source Software. In proceedings of the Projects Showcase, part of the Software Technologies: Applications and Foundations 2015 federation of conferences (STAF 2015), pages 36-43, L’Aquila, Italy.
- J. Williams, N. Matragkas, D. Kolovos, I. Korkontzelos, S. Ananiadou and R. F. Paige, 2014. Software Analytics for MDE Communities (Position Paper). In proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Open Source Software for Model Driven Engineering (OSS4MDE’14) co-located with ACM/IEEE 17th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages & Systems (MoDELS 2014), pages 53-63, Valencia, Spain.
- I. Korkontzelos, T. Zesch, F. M. Zanzotto and C. Biemann, 2013. SemEval-2013 Task 5: Evaluating Phrasal Semantics. In Second Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM), Volume 2: Proceedings of the Seventh International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval 2013), pages 39-47.
- C. Mih?il?, G. Kontonatsios, R. T. B. Batista-Navarro, P. Thompson, I. Korkontzelos, and S. Ananiadou, 2013. Towards a Better Understanding of Discourse: Integrating Multiple Discourse Annotation Perspectives Using UIMA. In Proceedings of the 7th Linguistic Annotation Workshop & Interoperability with Discourse (LAW 2013), pages 79–88, Sofia, Bulgaria. LAW Challenge Award.
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, S. Ananiadou and J. Tsujii, 2013. Using a Random Forest Classifier to recognise translations of biomedical terms across languages. In Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Building and Using Comparable Corpora (BUCC), pages 95-104, Sofia, Bulgaria.
- G. Kontonatsios, I. Korkontzelos, B. Kolluru and S. Ananiadou, 2011. Adding Text Mining Workflows as Web Services to the BioCatalogue. In Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Semantic Web Aplications and Tools for the Life Sciences (SWAT4LS), pages 50-57, London, UK.
- I. Korkontzelos, T. Mu, A. Restificar and S. Ananiadou, 2011. Text Mining for Efficient Search and Assisted Creation of Clinical Trials. In Proceedings of the ACM Fifth International Workshop on Data Mining in Biomedical Informatics in conjunction with CIKM, Glasgow, Scotland.
- K. Zervanou, I. Korkontzelos, A. van den Bosch and S. Ananiadou, 2011. Enrichment and Structuring of Archival Description Metadata. In Proceedings of the ACL 2011 workshop on: Language Technology for Cultural Heritage, Social Sciences and Humanities (LaTeCH), Portland, Oregon, USA.
- I. Korkontzelos and S. Manandhar, 2010. UoY: Graphs of Unambiguous Vertices for Word Sense Induction and Disambiguation. In Proceedings of SemEval-2, Evaluation Exercises on Semantic Evaluation workshop, Association for Computational Linguistics, Uppsala, Sweden.
- I. Korkontzelos, I. Klapaftis and S. Manandhar, 2009. Graph Connectivity Measures for Unsupervised Parameter Tuning of Graph-Based Sense Induction Systems. In Proceedings of the NAACL-2009 Workshop on Unsupervised and Minimally Supervised Learning of Lexical Semantics, Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- I. Korkontzelos, A. Vlachos and I. Lewin, 2007. From Gene Names to Actual Genes. In Proceedings of ISMB BioLINK SIG on Text Data Mining, Vienna, Austria.
- I. Korkontzelos, PhD Thesis 2010. Unsupervised Learning of Multiword Expressions. Department of Computer Science, University of York. Supervised by Dr. S. Manandhar.
- I. Korkontzelos, MPhil Thesis 2006. Bootstrapping and Extending Named entity recognition. Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge. Supervised by Dr. A. Vlachos and Prof. T. Briscoe.
- I. Korkontzelos, DipEng Thesis 2005. Paschool: An educational programming Language for Junior Highschool. (in greek), School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens. Supervised by Prof. S. Zachos.