An active Students’ Union (SU) is at the heart of the campus. It is a student-led organisation, run by students for students.
When you join a programme, you will automatically become a member of Edge Hill Students’ Union who are here to help or provide representation if you need support or advice.
With newly developed social spaces, a packed line-up of activities and events, and an independent advisory service, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved.
- A team of Elected Officers are assigned responsibility for specific areas of work. They operate at the highest possible level within the University to bring about positive change for all students;
- The Elected Officers are supported by a team of full-time and part time staff, as well as Part-Time Officers, elected to represent LGBT, black and disabled students;
- A small team of NUS Delegates are also elected to attend the National Union of Students’ conference, the biggest annual gathering of students’ unions.
Elections and by-elections provide you with the opportunity to vote for the people you want to represent you as your Elected Officers, Part-Time Officers and NUS Delegates, enabling you to have a vital say in determining the direction of your Students’ Union.
A team of Course Reps also play an integral part in ensuring students’ voices are heard, meeting with senior University staff to provide feedback on the teaching and learning experience.
The Students’ Union coordinates a wide variety of campaigns, events and activities across the campus and beyond.
- Campaigns – a number of campaigns are run throughout the year. Themes include raising mental health awareness, sexual awareness, and empowering children and young people through sport;
- Clubs and Societies – 70+ student-led societies cover everything from astronomy, murder mystery and Disney, to medieval re-enactments, table-top gaming and circus skills. Joining a society is a great way to meet like-minded people and enrich your student life;
- Welcome Week – your first week at University will be packed with fun events to attend. The range of Welcome Week activities in previous years has featured treasure hunts, paint parties, Guitar Hero contests, carnivals and the ever-popular Welcome Fair;
- University Nightlife – from regular themed bar and club nights on campus to weekly pub quizzes and karaoke, the Students’ Union organise a great line-up of regular events as well as the annual Graduation Ball;
- VibeMedia – combining a student-led radio station, TV channel and an online platform, VibeMedia is for anyone interested in participating in television, radio shows or writing. It is open to all students, not just those doing media courses;
- Volunteering – enhance your CV, gain new skills and get involved in the local community through volunteering. From working on the campus allotment to volunteering in local charity shops, helping in schools to assisting at a local animal sanctuary, there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer available through the Students’ Union. You can volunteer for a one-off event or take it up as a regular commitment.
Advice and Representation
The Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre provides free, confidential and independent advice and guidance to all Edge Hill University students.
You can drop-in to the Hub to speak to an experienced, trained advisor, make an appointment or arrange a telephone consultation.
The team of advisors can assist you with:
- Academic issues and procedures;
- Accommodation and housing queries;
- Student finance, benefits advice, and help with budgeting or managing your money.
If you want to talk about anything to do with your student life, or if there is an issue that you would like to discuss, then get in touch.
Further information can also be found at www.edgehillsu.org.uk.
The SU Shop, located near the Hub, is the place to get kitted out in Edge Hill University branded hoodies, t-shirts and joggers.
You can also purchase your NUS card, the official student discount card, from here.
To buy Students’ Union merchandise online, visit www.edgehillsu.org.uk/eshop.