Sociology and Social Sciences at Edge Hill combines a supportive atmosphere with cutting-edge modules like Critical Autism Studies and Youth Offending. And there are a whole range of career paths to explore, from childcare practice and family support, to community development and the criminal justice system. Or you may wish to pursue further study in areas like social work and teaching. Learn about the world with us and discover your place in it.
The 21st century is complicated and rapidly changing. But studying social sciences gives you the chance to understand the world and your place in it.
You can tailor your course to your own interests. Study topics like autism, human animal relations and the environment. Our lecturers research specialist areas such as child protection, the community or migration. This means they’ll help you discover the cultural, economic and political forces that influence communities around the world.
There’s more to our courses than academic study. To help you understand real world challenges, we invite professionals to come in from practice in childcare and youth work, as well as social campaigners and activists. You can also complete a work placement, go on field trips and apply your learning to global issues.
- You’ll gain work experience, meet working professionals, and explore specialist subjects such as youth work or play therapy. 100% of our BA (Hons) Sociology graduates are in employment or further study 15 months after graduation (Graduate Outcomes 2018/19).
- Our expert researchers are exploring areas like disability, gender and child protection. And with a range of specialist modules, you’ll be at the forefront of the world of social sciences.
- Become a global citizen. Learn about the world and experience more of it with field trips and study abroad opportunities. We’re 2nd in the North West for Student Experience (Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 – Sociology).
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Childhood & Youth Studies||BA (Hons)||L590|
|Childhood & Youth Studies and Criminology||BA (Hons)||XM32|
|Childhood & Youth Studies and Sociology||BA (Hons)||LX33|
|Criminology and Sociology||BA (Hons)||ML93|
|Early Childhood Studies||BA (Hons)||L520|
|Early Childhood Studies and Sociology||BA (Hons)||LL53|
|Education and Sociology||BA (Hons)||XL33|
|Politics and Sociology||BA (Hons)||LL32|
You may also be interested in:
|Course Name||Qualification||UCAS Code|
|Psychosocial Analysis of Offending Behaviour||BSc (Hons)||C816|
Studying at Edge Hill has opened my eyes and my mind to a whole range of experiences and ideas that I didn’t expect.
BA (Hons) Childhood & Youth Studies
I am a firm believer that everyone should study social sciences. It provides you with knowledge about society, allows you to think about life and definitely makes you a better individual.
BA (Hons) Sociology
- My Sociology and Social Sciences Student Experience
- Why you should choose Edge Hill University as your first choice – from a proud alumnus
Sociology and Social Sciences Latest
- Challenging the Assumptions of Autism
- Children, Food and the Climate Crisis
- Educate and Advocate
- Career Enhancing Opportunities – Sociology and Social Sciences
- Real World Experience – Sociology and Social Sciences
Sociology and Social Sciences in the News
- New research from Edge Hill University shows the scale of abuse in sport and calls for cultural changes
- Edge Hill experts to address challenges around female safety and safeguarding in sport
- Fastrack student hopes autism will be celebrated in education
- Graduate vows to make a difference to the lives of struggling children
The Department of Social Sciences is based in Creative Edge, a state-of-the-art £17m building offering highly contemporary facilities for Social Sciences students.
The building features a lecture theatre, seminar rooms, IT facilities and smaller tutorial spaces. There are also social learning areas which encourage a more informal and interactive style of learning.
Creative Edge 360 Virtual Tour
Open Days and Virtual Events
Alternatively, our virtual open day pages offer the chance to discover everything that Edge Hill University has to offer and find out more about any subjects of interest, including sociology and social sciences, through a series of online activities.View our virtual open day pages