Edge Hill University has been at the forefront of initial teacher training for 130 years. Our PGCEs enable graduates to train to teach in early years, primary, secondary or further education.
You can study a broad-based early years or primary PGCE, specialise in primary mathematics or primary physical education, choose from a variety of dedicated routes in secondary subject areas, or prepare for a career in further education or the lifelong learning sector.
If you’re looking to join a PGCE in secondary education but lack the required subject knowledge, we may have a suitable subject knowledge enhancement course for you.
Whichever age range or specialism you choose, your programme will combine expert tuition with significant time in schools and other settings, enabling you to gain extensive practical experience and become increasingly confident in the classroom.
Early Years Education
- PGCE Primary Education with QTS
- PGCE Primary Mathematics Specialist with QTS
- PGCE Primary Physical Education (PE) Specialist with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Computer Science and Information Technology Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary English (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Geography (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary History (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Physical Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Religious Education (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
- PGCE Secondary Science (Biology) (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS
Further Education and Training
Subject Knowledge Enhancement for Secondary PGCE Applicants
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Biology
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Computer Science
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement English
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Geography
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Mathematics
- Subject Knowledge Enhancement Religious Education
While not a teacher training course, you may also be interested in our MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) if you want to deepen your knowledge, understanding and practical skills in language learning and education.
The Faculty of Education enjoys the enviable position of being one of the country’s leading providers of teacher training.
Housed in a state-of-the-art £9m building, the Faculty of Education’s facilities include a 300-seat lecture theatre, five well-equipped ICT suites, and 18 teaching rooms equipped with the latest technology.
The faculty has a strong commitment to practice-based learning and has developed partnerships with over 2,000 schools and colleges, local authorities and professional associations.