Skip Navigation

English language requirements

To meet your full potential at Edge Hill University, you need a good standard of English language. Relevant evidence of your English language proficiency is mandatory to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level.

Any student requiring a visa to study in the UK must provide evidence of a minimum level of English language (Common European Framework (CEFR) B2 level) in order to be granted a Student Route visa (previously known as a Tier 4 visa). Some of our courses require you to demonstrate a higher level of English proficiency or formal English Language qualification that is comparable to UK GCSE. This will be listed on the academic requirements for the individual course.

Read the following information carefully and see if you meet the English language requirements for your chosen course.

Please note: we do not accept letters of proficiency.

Evidence of English language requirements

There are several ways you can show that you meet the English language requirements. This includes:

  • Providing a passport or degree from one of the approved majority English speaking countries. This includes Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Malta, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, USA
  • Canadian passport holder
  • Holding an approved high school qualification
  • Sitting an Approved SELT (Secure English Language Test)
  • You may also consider one of our pre-sessional English courses

Simply click on the relevant dropdown menu for more information on appropriate evidence.

International Foundation Programme

Undergraduate entry

Postgraduate entry