Skip Navigation

This guide outlines the tuition fees and financial support arrangements for UK students joining part-time undergraduate degrees (BA/BSc/LLB), part-time integrated Masters degrees (MComp/MNSW/MSci) and part-time foundation degrees (FdA/FdSc) at Edge Hill University between August 2023 and July 2024.

We can help explain what student funding you may be entitled to receive and how to apply for it.


Please note, the information on these pages may be subject to change and does not apply to conversion (top-up) degree students or those joining part-time undergraduate professional development courses in the Faculty of Health and Social Care.

Exceptions may apply if you have enrolled on any previous part-time higher education study (at level 4 or level 5), even if you didn’t achieve a qualification, or if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold.

EU/EEA and Swiss students who have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, as well as Irish nationals, may be eligible for the UK tuition fee rate and associated financial support. Irish nationals can ordinarily apply to Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI). Please see our dedicated guide to EU student finance for further information.

Tuition fees

If you are a prospective UK student joining a part-time undergraduate degree or part-time integrated Masters degree at Edge Hill University between August 2023 and July 2024, the tuition fee will be £77 per credit for academic year 2023/24 (subject to final Government approval). This is equivalent to £1,540 per 20 credit module. A total of 360 credits is required to complete an undergraduate degree and 480 credits to complete an integrated Masters degree.

If you are a prospective UK student joining FdA Early Years Education and Leadership between August 2023 and July 2024, the tuition fee will be £6,165 a year for academic year 2023/24.

The University may administer a small inflationary rise in tuition fees, in line with Government policy, in subsequent academic years as you progress through the course.

Eligible students will not have to pay up-front for their tuition and can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of the course fees, providing at least 25% of the equivalent full-time undergraduate degree is being studied per year.

Exceptions may apply if you have enrolled on any previous part-time higher education study (at level 4 or level 5, equivalent to the first two years of a full-time degree), even if you didn’t achieve a qualification, or if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold.

Ministry of Defence Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) Scheme

If you have recently left the British Armed Forces, or are a serving member in the qualifying resettlement phase, you may be eligible to use Enhanced Learning Credits to receive financial support towards the cost of tuition fees.

Edge Hill University is an approved Enhanced Learning Credits Administration Service (ELCAS) provider, enabling eligible military personnel to potentially receive funding for up to three separate Ministry of Defence financial years (1 April – 31 March) while studying with us.

You can view a list of eligible Edge Hill programmes using the provider search on the Enhanced Learning Credits website. If a course you are interested in is not listed, please email for clarification.


Tuition Fee Loans

You will be able to borrow the full cost of your tuition fee from the Government in the form of a Tuition Fee Loan, subject to eligibility, providing you are studying at least 25% of the equivalent full-time undergraduate course per year.

Maintenance Loans

Maintenance Loans are available to eligible part-time students joining an undergraduate degree or integrated Masters degree. They are currently not available to part-time foundation degree students.

  • Available to help with living costs such as food, accommodation and travel.
  • The amount of Maintenance Loan you can apply for is determined by your household income, where you are going to live while you are studying, the intensity of study and additional criteria.
  • You must be aged 59 or under on the first day of the first academic year of your course in order to be eligible.
  • Usually paid in three instalments, directly to your bank or building society account. The first payment date is expected to be two weeks after the start of the autumn semester (subject to final confirmation from the Government).

Maintenance Loans are subject to different financial arrangements and eligibility criteria depending on whether you are domiciled in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you are domiciled in ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland, you should refer to the website of the relevant funding body.

The maximum Maintenance Loan amounts for eligible students domiciled in England are as follows:

  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £9,978 a year may be available if you live away from home.
  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £8,400 a year may be available if you live with your parents.

breakdown of potential Maintenance Loan amounts, subject to eligibility, is available for English-domiciled students based on illustrative levels of household income and intensity of study.

View Maintenance Loan tables for part-time students

Loan repayments

You will not have to start repaying the total of your student loans until the April after you have completed your course and are earning above a certain threshold amount. The Government has announced that repayment thresholds for students joining undergraduate degrees in academic year 2023/24 will be £25,000 a year.

The amount you repay will be linked to your income. Each year you will be expected to repay 9% of your income that is above the repayment threshold. So, for example, if your salary is £30,000 a year, with a repayment threshold of £25,000 a year, the 9% repayment would only apply to £5,000, meaning you would repay around £37.50 a month. If your income falls below the repayment threshold, for any reason, you will not have to make repayments until your income rises above this threshold again.

The Government will typically apply interest on your student loans at inflation (Retail Price Index – RPI) plus 3%, while you are studying, and up until the April you are due to start repaying. The interest rate will vary from the April you are due to start repaying, subject to your income level. A Government cap of 7.3% is currently in place until August 2023 on the maximum interest rate that can be applied to most student loans. Further information about student loan repayments is available on GOV.UK.

The Student Loans Company will work with HM Revenue and Customs to collect repayments. They will be taken by your employer and shown on your pay statement. If you are self-employed, the repayments will be collected through the tax self-assessment system. No early repayment charges will be made. Any monies still owed after 40 years will be written off.

If you leave your course early, you will still have to repay your student loans. Leaving a course during term time can result in the overpayment of a Maintenance Loan. In these circumstances, you should contact Student Finance England, or the equivalent funding body, about the option of completing a financial hardship application to move any overpayments to your graduate repayment plan.

Alternative funding

Religious faith may mean taking out student loans and paying the required inflation-based interest is an issue for some students and could be prohibited for religious reasons.

The Government is working towards an alternative Sharia-compliant student finance package for these circumstances. The suggested alternative financial product would result in identical graduate repayments to the current student loan system but would not be interest based.

Further details are awaited from the Government. In the meantime, you may find it useful to contact a local Imam to discuss Sharia-compliant finance if you have any concerns. Alternative sources of funding, while limited, are outlined on our money advice webpages.


Disabled Students’ Allowance

You will not be entitled to a grant to contribute towards your living costs. However, if you have a disability or specific learning difficulty, you may be eligible for support tailored to your individual needs through the Government’s Disabled Students’ Allowance.

Disabled Students’ Allowances are worth up to £26,291 for eligible students in academic year 2023/24. These allowances are designed to help with the cost of specialist equipment (such as computer software), extra travel costs due to a disability, or other support necessary to enable you to study.

The amount you will be eligible to receive will vary according to the intensity of study. You should be aware that £26,291 is the maximum amount and most students get less.

How to apply


We strongly recommend applying for financial support as early as possible to ensure your application is received and processed in good time.

The funding application process for English-domiciled students is as follows:

  • Applications are made online to Student Finance England at Applications are expected to open in early 2023.
  • After you have applied for student funding, you will be able to manage your account online.
  • Once your application has been assessed, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter outlining the support you have applied for and can expect to receive. The Student Finance Entitlement Letter can also be viewed online. If the financial support outlined in your Student Finance Entitlement Letter is not what you anticipated, you are welcome to contact us for advice.

The funding application process is different if you are a student domiciled in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. You should consult the website of the relevant funding body for further information on the application process you will need to follow:

Disabled Students’ Allowance

For information on how to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance, you should consult the website of the relevant funding body:

If you feel you may have a support requirement, we encourage you to arrange a confidential chat with a member of Inclusive Services.

Ministry of Defence Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) Scheme

Further information about making a claim is available at You will need to quote our provider number (2871) on your claim application form.

If your claim application is successful, you will need to present your Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) at enrolment.

Previous study

If you have studied all or part of a higher education course before coming to university, your entitlement to student funding may be affected.

  • Previous Study 
    If you have studied a part-time higher education course (level 4 or level 5) before, even if you didn’t complete it – you may not get Government tuition fee support for the full length of your course, meaning you may have to pay some or all of the fees yourself.
  • Equivalent and Lower Qualifications (ELQ)
    If the course you take at Edge Hill is of an equivalent or lower level to one you already hold – you may not get Government support for your fees.

There are exceptions but, if you think this may affect you, it is important to clarify your situation.

Please note, previous full-time study does not usually impact on your entitlement to part-time student funding, subject to you not holding an equivalent or higher qualification to the programme you wish to join.

Please visit our previous study page to find out more about previous study and equivalent and lower qualifications.

Previous study and equivalent and lower qualifications

Contact us

If you have any queries about tuition fees, or if you have any queries about previous study and the potential impact it may have on your eligibility for financial support, you can email Academic Registry.

  • Academic Registry
  • Email:
  • Please note, if you are joining an Education or Health and Social Care professional development programme, you should contact the relevant faculty directly with any tuition fee queries. You can email the Faculty of Education at and the Faculty of Health and Social Care at

If you have any questions about your eligibility for financial support, or if you wish to receive advice and guidance on applying for funding (including support in completing funding applications), you can get in touch with the Money Advice Team.

Alternatively, you can contact the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre.

Please note, all advice and guidance provided by the University is subject to any information which you choose to impart to us, about your individual circumstances, being correct.

The advice and guidance you receive will be based upon current eligibility criteria from external organisations, such as the Student Loans Company. However, if any changes are made to this eligibility criteria by an external organisation, the University cannot be held responsible.

All staff will treat any information you share with them in the strictest confidence.

Further information

Our Student Services webpages includes money advice, including useful tips on how to increase your income and reduce your expenses while at university, together with advice about keeping track of your finances and managing your money effectively.

Student finance resources and information, including a popular discussion forum, for English-domiciled students can be found on The Student Room website.