Money Matters: Part-Time Undergraduate Students 2020/21


Two students chat while sat on a sofa in the foyer of the Performing Arts building.These pages outline the tuition fees and financial support arrangements for UK and eligible EU students joining part-time undergraduate degrees (BA/BSc/LLB), part-time integrated Masters degrees (MComp/MNSW/MSci) and part-time foundation degrees (FdA/FdSc) at Edge Hill University between August 2020 and July 2021.

We can help explain what student funding you may be entitled to receive and how to apply for it.

Please note, the information on these pages may be subject to change and does not apply to conversion (top-up) degree students or those joining part-time undergraduate professional development courses in the Faculty of Health and Social Care.

Exceptions may apply if you have enrolled on any previous part-time higher education study (at level 4 or level 5), even if you didn’t achieve a qualification, or if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold.

Tuition Fees

If you are a prospective UK or EU student joining a part-time undergraduate degree or part-time integrated Masters degree at Edge Hill University between August 2020 and July 2021, the tuition fee will be £77 per credit for academic year 2020/21, i.e. £1,540 per 20 credit module. A total of 360 credits is required to complete an undergraduate degree and 480 credits to complete an integrated Masters degree.

If you are a prospective UK or EU student joining FdA Early Years Education and Leadership between August 2020 and July 2021, the tuition fee will be £6,165 per annum for academic year 2020/21.

The University may administer a small inflationary rise in tuition fees, in line with Government policy, in subsequent academic years as you progress through the course.

Eligible students will not have to pay up-front for their tuition and can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the cost of the course fees, providing at least 25% of the equivalent full-time undergraduate degree is being studied per year.

Exceptions may apply if you have enrolled on any previous part-time higher education study (at level 4 or level 5), even if you didn’t achieve a qualification, or if the course you are joining at Edge Hill University is of an equivalent or lower level to a qualification you already hold.


Tuition Fee Loans

You will be able to borrow the full cost of your tuition fee from the Government in the form of a Tuition Fee Loan, subject to eligibility, providing you are studying at least 25% of the equivalent full-time undergraduate course per year.

If you are an EU national or the family member of an EU national and meet this criteria, you are likely to be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan (subject to any previous study) providing you have been ordinarily resident in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the three years prior to the start of your course.

Maintenance Loans

Maintenance Loans are available to eligible part-time UK and EU students joining an undergraduate degree or integrated Masters degree. They are not currently available to part-time foundation degree students.

  • Available to help UK students domiciled in England with living costs such as food, accommodation and travel;
  • The amount of Maintenance Loan you can apply for is determined by your household income, where you are going to live while you are studying, the intensity of study and additional criteria;
  • You must be aged 59 and under on the first day of the first academic year of your course in order to be eligible
  • Usually paid in three instalments, directly to your bank or building society account. The first payment date is expected to be two weeks after the start of the autumn semester (subject to final confirmation from the Government).

Maintenance Loans are subject to different financial arrangements and eligibility criteria depending on whether you are domiciled in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or the EU.

If you are domiciled in ScotlandWales or Northern Ireland, you should refer to the website of the relevant funding body.

The maximum Maintenance Loan amounts for eligible students domiciled in England are as follows:

  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £9,203 per annum may be available if you live away from home;
  • A Maintenance Loan of up to £7,747 per annum may be available if you live with your parents.

A breakdown of potential Maintenance Loan amounts, subject to eligibility, is available for English-domiciled students based on illustrative levels of household income and intensity of study.

View Maintenance Loan tables for part-time students 

Loan Repayments

You will not have to start repaying the total of your student loans until the April after you have completed your course and are earning at least £27,295 per annum. If you leave your course early, you will still have to repay your student loans.

The amount you repay will be linked to your income. Each year you will be expected to repay 9% of your income that is above £27,295 a year. So, for example, if your salary is £30,000 per annum, with a repayment threshold of £27,295 a year, the 9% repayment would only apply to £2,705, meaning you would repay just over £20 a month. If your income falls below the repayment threshold, for any reason, you will not have to make repayments until your income rises above this threshold again.

The Government intends to apply interest on your loans at inflation (Retail Price Index – RPI) plus 3% while you are studying, and up until the April you are due to start repaying. The interest rate will vary from the April you are due to start repaying, subject to your income level.

The Student Loans Company will work with HM Revenue and Customs to collect repayments. They will be taken by your employer and shown on your pay statement. If you are self-employed, the repayments will be collected through the tax self-assessment system. No early repayment charges will be made. Any monies still owed after 30 years will be written off.


Disabled Students’ Allowances

You will not be entitled to a grant to contribute towards your living costs. However, if you are a UK student and have a disability or specific learning difficulty, you may be eligible for support tailored to your individual needs through the Government’s Disabled Students’ Allowances.

Disabled Students’ Allowances for eligible part-time students in academic year 2020/21 are worth up to £5,849 for specialist equipment (covering the whole course, not per annum), up to £17,443 pro-rata per year for a non-medical personal helper, and up to £1,465 pro-rata per year for other disability-related expenditure. These figures vary according to the intensity of study and are the maximum amounts – most students get less.


Care Leavers Bursary

UK care leavers joining a part-time undergraduate programme at Edge Hill University, who are aged under 25 at the start of their course, may be eligible for a Care Leavers Bursary worth £500 per annum, providing that a minimum of 13 weeks has been spent in Local Authority care since the age of 14 and that a minimum of 60 credits per academic year is being studied. The bursary is available to eligible part-time students for a maximum of six years. Students joining a part-time undergraduate programme at Edge Hill University who are living in foyer/supported housing may also be eligible for this bursary.

How to Apply


We strongly recommend applying for financial support as early as possible to ensure your application is received and processed in good time.

The funding application process for English-domiciled students is as follows:

  • Applications are made online to Student Finance England at;
  • After you have applied for student funding, you will be able to manage your account online;
  • Once your application has been assessed, you will receive a Student Finance Entitlement Letter outlining the support you have applied for and can expect to receive. The Student Finance Entitlement Letter can also be viewed online. If the financial support outlined in your Student Finance Entitlement Letter is not what you anticipated, you are welcome to contact us for advice.

The funding application process is different if you are a student domiciled in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. You should consult the website of the relevant funding body for further information on the application process you will need to follow:

EU students should download the relevant application forms from and apply for funding by post.

Disabled Students’ Allowances

For information on how UK students can apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances, you should consult the website of the relevant funding body:

If you feel you may have a support requirement, we encourage you to arrange a confidential chat with a member of Inclusive Services.

Care Leavers Bursary

You will have the opportunity to indicate that you are a care leaver during the admissions process. You can also identify yourself after submitting your application or at any point during your course by contacting Kordel Dickinson, Student Transitions and Support Manager, on 01695 654336 or emailing

Once confirmation of your Care Leaver Status, or evidence of being in supported housing, has been received, a Care Leavers Bursary application form will be issued for you to complete.

Previous Study

If you have studied all or part of a higher education course before coming to university, your entitlement to student funding may be affected.

  • Previous Study 
    If you have studied a part-time higher education course (level 4 or level 5) before, even if you didn’t complete it – you may not get Government tuition fee support for the full length of your course, meaning you may have to pay some or all of the fees yourself.
  • Equivalent and Lower Qualifications (ELQ)
    If the course you take at Edge Hill is of an equivalent or lower level to one you already hold – you may not get Government support for your fees.

There are exceptions but, if you think this may affect you, it is important to clarify your situation.

To find out more, visit

Contact Us

If you have any queries about tuition fees, or if you have any queries about previous study and the potential impact it may have on your eligibility for financial support, you can email Academic Registry.

  • Academic Registry
  • Email:
  • Please note, if you are joining an Education or Health and Social Care professional development programme, you should contact the relevant faculty directly with any tuition fee queries. You can email the Faculty of Education at and the Faculty of Health and Social Care at

If you have any questions about your eligibility for financial support, or if you wish to receive advice and guidance on applying for funding (including support in completing funding applications), you can get in touch with the Money Advice Team.

Alternatively, you can contact the Students’ Union Advice and Representation Centre.

Please note, all advice and guidance provided by the University is subject to any information which you choose to impart to us, about your individual circumstances, being correct.

The advice and guidance you receive will be based upon current eligibility criteria from external organisations, such as the Student Loans Company. However, if any changes are made to this eligibility criteria by an external organisation, the University cannot be held responsible.

All staff will treat any information you share with them in the strictest confidence.

Further Information

Our Student Services website includes money advice, including useful tips on how to increase your income and reduce your expenses while at University, together with advice about keeping track of your finances and managing your money effectively.

Student finance resources and information, including a popular discussion forum, for English-domiciled students can be found on The Student Room website.

For further information on the financial support available to EU students, you should visit