Money Worries

Back to Money Advice homepage

Worrying about money can have an impact on your overall personal wellbeing. The Money Advice team can help you with any worries you might have relating to your finances and there is also a range of support services (both within and outside of the University) that can help you to find solutions to other issues, whether personal or financial, that you might be experiencing.

Get in Touch
01695 650800

If you are worrying about Money, you’re not alone:

Source: Save the Student

The government’s Money Advice Service have put together a short video about the different ways money can impact on your emotions.

The NHS and the Money Advice Service have devised a simple set of questions and tips to help you find out if money worries are impacting on your heath. Click here to go there.

Personal Wellbeing & Mental Health

The Wellbeing Team offers support and advice in relation to any issue which may be impacting on your wellbeing.

The Students’ Union Advice Centre is here to provide you with free, independent advice and guidance on issues covering finance, fees, debt, housing as well as academic issues. You can find out the drop-in times and get in touch here

Charities and Trusts that Allow Self-Referral

Step Change – for help with debt


The UK’s leading debt charity, aims to give advice and guidance to anyone that is experiencing problems with debt or credit.

Step change deal with the following:

  • Bankruptcy
    Debt Arrangement schemes
    Trust deeds
    Debt relief orders
    Debt management plans

Best way for students to access debt advice

You can either call the Freephone number below, or access the website and complete the ‘free online debt advice’ service which takes approximately 20 minutes. The online services provides you with a detailed report and guidance, letter templates and budgeting advice.

How to contact

Phone: 0800 138 1111


Click here to send an email

Citizens Advice


Citizens Advice provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Best way for students to access debt advice

You can get in contact via phone, website or by web chat. Citizens Advice have local offices and the nearest to Edge Hill University are Southport and Skelmersdale.

Southport Address: Wright St, Southport, PR9 0TH,

Skelmersdale Address: Concourse Shopping Centre, Unit 47, The Concourse Shopping Centre, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LN

How to contact

Phone: 03444 111 444


Click here to for web chat



GamCare helps problem gamblers as well as their friends and families by working directly with problem gamblers, providing advice over the phone and online or through face-to-face counselling. GamCare also have an education and prevention team working to raise awareness and prevent problem gambling before it starts.

Best way for students to access GamCare

The best way for you to access the services is either through the Freephone helpline or through the ‘Netline’ service which provides a live chat with an adviser. The Netline opens in a chat window which is totally private and secure. The adviser is a trained member of GamCare who will be able to give advice about gambling and may be able to help by putting you in touch with a local face-to-face counsellor.

How to contact

Phone: 0808 8020 133


Netline text chat service.

Christians Against Poverty (CAP)

If you’re having problems with debt, Christians Against Poverty might be able to help. You don’t have to be a Christian to access this service. Find out more on the CAP website.

Back to Money Advice homepage

Last updated on Last updated on Was this page helpful? Yes No Thanks for your feedback! Please tell us more: