Accommodation Team

This page contains information for landlords. If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, then please contact the team: or 01695 584200.

If you wish to renew your registration with us, or you are a new landlord wishing to register for the first time, please download the documents below. You will need to complete, sign and return the registration form via email or post, together with a copy of your current landlord gas safety certificate and a copy of your contract. You can access a sample tenancy and agreement and sample licence agreement below.

Please also ensure that you read the Landlord Guide and Code of Practice.

LandlordRegForm   TenancyAgreement Off campus licence agreement image  Guide for Landlords image   Landlord Code of Practice image

Off Campus Licence Agreement

Student Funding is paid to students in three instalments; usually towards the end of September, the beginning of January and the end of April. It is not possible for this funding to be brought forward as the dates are set by Student Finance England.

Students who are studying on an NHS-funded course (Midwifery, Nursing, Operating Department Practice) receive their funding monthly, usually on the third Friday of each month. They also receive an instalment of maintenance loan three times per year; usually towards the end of September, the beginning of January and the end of April.

The Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are qualified to work safely and legally on gas appliances. Always check your engineer is on the Gas Safe Register.

When your annual check has been completed and you have been provided with your landlord gas safety certificate please remember to supply the Accommodation Team with a copy so that we can ensure that any vacancies are advertised.

It is also a good idea to provide a copy of the certificate to your tenants.

Please have a look at this short three minute video, which explains the importance of using Gas Safe registered engineers in order to eliminate the risk of a gas leak or carbon monoxide poisoning.

It is important that all registered landlords read this guidance to ensure they are aware of their responsibilities to carry out a fire risk assessment and to ensure that their property has adequate and appropriate fire safety measures in place.

The Accommodation Team works closely with Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service to raise awareness amongst students and landlords about the dangers of fire and steps to take to drastically decrease the chances of fire starting. If you have any questions or need any advice please visit their website –  Lancashire Fire & Rescue.

LACORS fire safety Lacors Fire Safety Guidance: Guidance on fire safety within the home.

As of 1 October 2015 landlords must legally install a carbon monoxide detector in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. a coal fire or wood burning stove).

Please click here for more information

If you charge a deposit and you rent your house on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007 you must put the deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP).

The deposit can be registered with:

DSP   My Deposits   Tenancy Deposit Scheme logo

Tenancy Deposit Schemes protect tenants in ensuring that deposits are paid back if the following conditions are met:

• the tenant meet the terms of the tenancy agreement
• the tenants doesn’t damage the property
• the tenant pays rent and bills

You must deposit the money in a Tenancy Deposit Scheme within 30 days of receiving it.
You must return the deposit within ten days of you and the tenant agreeing how much the tenant will get back. If there is a dispute between landlord and tenant, the deposit will be protected in the TDP scheme until the issue is resolved.

Please note that, in order to be remain registered with us, you must agree to us undertaking property visits. At present, regular property visits are not carried out but we do visit properties if concerns are raised by students. In these instances we will visit alongside staff from Lancashire Fire and Rescue or West Lancashire Borough Council, depending on the nature of the issues raised. We would first contact you to arrange a mutually convenient time to visit.

As from 1 October 2014 It is a legal requirement for all lettings agents and property managers in England to belong to one of three Government approved redress scheme.
Whilst the majority of lettings agents and property managers provide a good service there are a minority who offer a poor service and engage in unacceptable practices. This requirement will mean that tenants and landlords with agents in the private rented sector and leaseholders and freeholders dealing with property managers in the residential sector will be able to complain to an independent person about the service they have received. Ultimately the requirement to belong to a redress scheme will help weed out bad agents and property managers and drive up standards.
The requirement will be enforced by local authorities who can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where an agent or property manager who should have joined a scheme has not done so.

The three schemes are:
Ombudsman Services Property
Property Redress Scheme
The Property Ombudsman

For more information on the Redress Scheme, and to see if it applies to you, please see here.