Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching
- Wilson Centre
- +44(0) 1695 654151
- ORCID: 0000-0003-4037-4966
- Google Scholar profile
Research Group and Institute
- Pedagogy, Professional Development & Politics in Physical Education & Sport Research Group
Mark coordinates and teaches a number of modules that integrate pedagogy and practical knowledge in coaching practice.
He joined Edge Hill in 2009 after working in professional football as a coach, teacher and performance analysis at Wigan Athletic and Bolton Wanderers. Mark completed his MSc in Sport Coaching (2009) at Loughborough University and BSc (Hons) in Sports Coaching and Performance Development (2005) at Edge Hill University. Mark also has a P.G.C.E. and is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Mark’s research interests are in coaching practice, coach learning and the social influences on coaches’ practice and learning.
Mark’s external engagement activities include:
- Part-time professional football coach at Wigan Athletic Academy.
- Delivered on the Football Association Advanced Youth Award.
- Football Association tendered research project: Evaluation of the PG Cert delivered to Coach Developers.
- Cope, E., Partington, M. & Harvey, S. (2017) A review of the use of a systematic observation method in coaching research 1997-2016. Journal of Sports Sciences. 35(20) 2042-2050. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2016.1252463
- Cope, E., Partington, M., Cushion, C. & Harvey, S. (2016) An Investigation of Professional Top-Level Youth Football Coaches’ Questioning Practice. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health. 8(4) 380-393. https://doi.org/10.1080/2159676X.2016.1157829
- Partington, M., Cushion, C., Cope, E. & Harvey, S. (2015) The impact of video feedback on professional youth football coaches’ reflection and practice behaviour: a longitudinal investigation of behaviour change. Reflective Practice, 16(5) 700-716. https://doi.org/10.1080/14623943.2015.1071707
- Cushion, C. & Partington, M. (2014) A critical analysis of the conceptualisation of ‘coaching philosophy’. Sport, Education and Society, 21(6) 857-867. https://doi.org/10.1080/13573322.2014.958817
- Partington, M. & Cushion, C.J. (2013) An investigation of the practice activities and coaching behaviours of professional top-level youth soccer coaches. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 23(3), 373-382. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01383.x
- Partington, M. & Cushion, C.J. (2012) Performance during performance: Using Goffman to understand the behaviours of elite youth soccer coaches during games. Sports coaching Review, 1(2), 93-105. https://doi.org/10.1080/21640629.2013.790167