Programme Leader and Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching
Research Group and Institute
- Pedagogy, Professional Development & Politics in Physical Education & Sport Research Group
Kenny is Programme Leader for Sports Coaching related degrees. Kenny is a Senior Lecturer in Sports Coaching and joined Edge Hill in September 2008. Kenny has experience both coaching and playing at a professional and semi-professional level. Kenny coaches primarily with football players within the specific ages of 17 and above.
Kenny has educated professional players, coached and scouted in Professional League football and previously worked at The FA as a Coach Educator aiding those players/coaches in grassroots football right through to elite level performance. Kenny is interested in improving the quality of both players and coaches at the respective ages and levels noted above. Kenny additionally holds the prestigious UEFA A Licence coaching qualification and the FA Youth Award.
Kenny’s research focuses on the application between coaching pedagogy and practice. Kenny’s interests lie within areas of pedagogical practice and application to enhance understanding in a coaching setting and elite level coaching practice within football.
This interest has led to particular research and conference attendance and delivery contributions covering The Use of headcams to investigate coach learning within elite coach education and practice to SPLISS, Antwerp, Belgium and also Coach learning in ‘Elite Coach Education’: The possibilities of auto ethnographical coaching practice via head mounted cameras for the European Sports Development Network Conference (ESDN).
Kenny’s external engagement activities included (current and recent past):
- FA project: An Evolution of the PG certificate in coach development for members of the FA grassroots delivery team (2017 – 2018)
- Former first team manger and coach for Burscough FC (Semi-Professional). Advisor to club regarding recruitment and staff roles and responsibilities (2018)
- Peer reviewer for International Journal of Sport Policy & Politics (2014-2016)
- Peer reviewer for Soccer and Society Journal (2014 – 2015)
- Peer reviewer for journal of qualitative research in sports studies (2012 – 2015)
- Former FA coach education tutor (2010 – 2016)
- FA Wales – Part of Wales U19s “mentoring group” for match analysis for Wales U19s (2016)
- FA Wales – Part of an “elite study group” at the Victory Shield Tornament (2015)
- Former head coach with Liverpool County FA representative teams U15s -U18s (2014 – 2016)
- Former Scout for Professional league club.
- Former coach for U18s at professional league club
- Former Head Coach for U15s/16s at professional league club
- Former mentor supervisor to PGCert Ed students undertaking teaching qualification
- Peer reviewer for European Physical Education Review (2019-)
- External Examiner for UCFB Football related performance degrees (both Wembley and Etihad campus’) (2016 – 2020)
- Active member of FAW (FA Wales) (2007 -)
- Active member of FALCC (Football association licensed coaches club) (2000 -)
- Head coach for Edge Hill University (EHU) football teams (both men and women) and EHU men’s first team coach
- Supervisor for PHD, MRes and MSC students
- Contributing to the department’s programme endorsement and higher education work with the Chartered Institute for the management of sport & physical activity (2018 -)
- POTRAC, P., MALLETT, C., GREENOUGH, K. and NELSON, L. 2017. Passion and paranoia: An embodied tale of emotion, identity, and pathos in sports coaching. Sports Coaching Review, 6 (2). 142-161. ISSN 2164-0637 DOI https://doi.org/10.1080/21640629.2017.1367067
- O’GORMAN, J. and GREENOUGH, K. 2016. Children’s voices in mini soccer: an exploration of critical incidents. Soccer in Society, vol 17, (6),1-17. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14660970.2015.1100896
- OLDRIDGE, L., NELSON, L., GREENOUGH, K. and POTRAC, P. 2016. The Interplay between Learning, Knowledge, Biography and Practice: The Tale of an Experienced Track & Field Athletics Coach. International Sport Coaching Journal, vol 3, (3), 257-268. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/iscj.2016-0020
- POTRAC, P., NELSON, L. and GROOM, R with GREENOUGH, K. 2016. Lev Vygotsky: Learning Through Social Interaction in Coaching. In: L. NELSON, R. GROOM and P. POTRAC, (eds). Learning in sports coaching: Theory and application, pp. 101-112. London: Routledge. ISBN 9781138816572
- RUSHTON, W. and GREENOUGH, K. 2016. ‘Mind games’ in amateur boxing. Journal of Qualitative Research in Sports Studies, 10, 1, 113-126.