Senior Lecturer in Sport Development and Management
Research Group and Institute
- Pedagogy, Professional Development & Politics in Physical Education & Sport Research Group
Neil King is a senior lecturer in sport development and management in the Department of Sport and Physical Activity where he leads modules on the undergraduate sports development, management and coaching programmes.
He joined Edge Hill in 2007 having worked at Liverpool Hope University (2002-07) and Leeds Beckett University (2001-02). He was awarded his PhD from Loughborough University in 2006 having completed his MA in European Leisure Studies (1998) at the University of Loughborough and BA (Hons) in Leisure Management (1996) at the University of West London.
Neil’s research focuses on sport policy, governance and management and predominantly on local government sport, recreation and leisure services. He also focuses on sport governance in the non-profit sector. He is author of Sport Governance: An Introduction (2016) and Sport Policy and Governance: Local Perspectives (2009) both published by Routledge. He has also published book chapters on sport and doping and sport and national security and a number of journal articles related mainly to the management of public sector sport services.
Neil’s external engagement activities include:
- External Examiner at Leeds Beckett University
- Guest Co-editor of International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics
- Journal article peer reviewer of International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics, Leisure Studies and the International Journal of Public Sector Management.
- Research project and publication for the local government professional body APSE
- Author of magazine articles for the professional body CIMPSA
- King, N. (2018) Governance and corruption in sport with respect to doping. In Mottram, D. and Chester, N. Drugs in Sport. 7th London: Routledge: 379-394.
- Widdop, P., King, N., Parnell, D., Cutts, D. and Millward, P. (2017) Austerity, Policy and Sport Participation in England. International Journal of Sport Politics and Policy. Special Edition. https://doi.org/10.1080/19406940.2017.1348964
- King, N (2016) Sport Governance: An Introduction. London: Routledge.
- King, N. (2015) Sport, Terrorism, National Security, and the ‘Deep State’: Components of a Longitudinal Research Programme, in Harvey, A. and Kimball, R. (2015) Sport: Identity and Community. Oxford: Inter-Disciplinary Press, pp. 51-62.
- King, N. (2014) Making the case for Sport and Recreation Services: the utility of Social Return on Investment (SROI) analysis. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 27:2, 152-164. ISSN 0951-3558. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPSM-04-2013-0052
- King, N. (2014) Local Authority Sport Services under the UK coalition government: retention, revision or curtailment? International Journal of Sport Politics and Policy, 6:3, 349-369. ISSN 1940-6940 https://doi.org/10.1080/19406940.2013.825873