Senior Lecturer in Sport and Physical Activity
Research Group and Institute
- Pedagogy, Professional Development & Politics in Physical Education & Sport Research Group
Maria-Christina is a Senior Lecturer of Psychology in Sport and Physical Activity. She joined Edge Hill in September 2017 having worked at Kingston University, Nottingham Trent University, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance, University of the West of England as a Lecturer in Psychology. She was awarded her PhD from the University of Birmingham in 2016 having completed her MSc in Counselling Psychology (2009) at Springfield College, USA and BSc (Hons) in Psychology (2007) at National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
Maria-Christina’s research focuses on the psychosocial determinants of physical activity and body image issues. She is particularly interested in the barriers and enablers of physical activity in healthy and unhealthy older adults. Some of her research has focused on the use of mental imagery for the promotion of physical activity.
Maria-Christina’s external engagement activities include:
- Member of Chartered Member in the British Psychological Society (CPsychol)
- Member of the Association of Greek Psychologists
- Member in the American Psychological Association
- Member in the Division of International Psychology of APA
- Member in the International Society of Sport Psychology
- Member in the Association for Applied Sport Psychology
- Reviewer in Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology
- Reviewer in Journal of Imagination, Cognition, and Personality
- Reviewer in European Journal of Sport Science
- Kosteli, M. C., Williams, S. E., & Cumming, J. (2018). Exploring Imagery as a Technique for Promoting Physical Activity in Older Adults. Imagination, Cognition and Personality. https://doi.org/10.1177/0276236618767083
- Kosteli, M. C., Cumming, J. & Williams, S. E. (2018). Self-regulatory imagery and physical activity in older adults: A social-cognitive perspective. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 1-35. http://doi.org/10.1123/japa.2016-0024
- Kosteli, M. C., Heneghan, N., Roskell, C., Williams, S. E., Adab, P., Dickens, A. P., … & Jennifer Cumming (2017). Barriers and enablers of physical activity engagement for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in primary care. International Journal of COPD, 12, 1019–1031. http://doi.org/10.2147/COPD.S119806
- Kosteli, M. C., Williams, S. E., & Cumming, J. (2016). Investigating the Psychosocial Determinants of Physical Activity in Older Adults: A Qualitative Approach. Journal of Psychology and Health. http://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2016.1143943
- Kosteli, M.C., van Raalte, J.L., Brewer, B.W., & Cornelius. A.E. (2014). Relationship between sport type and body image of female athletes. TRENDS in Sport Sciences, 2, 65–72.
- Cumming, J., Cooley, S. J., Anuar, N., Kosteli, M. C., Quinton, M. L., Weibull, F., & Williams, S. E. (2016). Developing Imagery Ability Effectively: A Guide to Layered Stimulus Response Training. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action. http://doi.org/10.1080/21520704.2016.1205698