Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Wilson Centre
- +44(0) 1695 654471
- ORCID: 0000-0002-9109-5185
- Scopus Author ID: 56283687200
- Google Scholar profile
Research Group and Institute
- Sports Performance, Exercise & Nutrition Research Group
Craig joined the department in 2003 shortly after obtaining his undergraduate BSc (Hons) in Sports Science. He then went on to complete his PhD at Edge Hill University in 2012 with a project entitled ‘The Physiological Demands of Competitive Taekwondo’. This was completed alongside his combined roles of lecturer and physiologist practitioner for the Olympic Great Britain Taekwondo national team (2006-2010; 2012), which included preparations for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games and consultancy for London 2012. Craig’s specialist area is Sport and Exercise Physiology and he currently leads the applied sports science modules and the sport and exercise physiology undergraduate modules offered within the department. Craig also acts as a member of the editorial and review board for the ‘Journal of Combat Sports and Martial Arts‘ (2011-present).
- Physiological and stress hormonal responses in combat sports
- Nutritional and pharmacological performance ergogenic aids
- Pacing in endurance sports
External engagement activity:
- Member of the editorial and review board for the ‘Journal of Combat Sports and Martial Arts‘ (2011-present).
- Bridge C.A. Sparks, S.A. McNaughton, L.R. Close, G.L. Hausen, M. Gurgel, J. Drust, B. (2018). Repeated exposure to taekwondo combat modulates the physiological and hormonal responses to subsequent bouts and recovery periods. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (Epub ahead of print 2018, May 17, doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002591). Pubmed.
- Hausen, M. Soares, P.P. Araujo, M.P, Esteves D., Julio, H. Tauil, R. Junca, M. Porto, F. Franchini, E. Bridge, C.A. Gurgel, J. (2018). Specificity elicits higher maximal and submaximal cardiorespiratory responses during a new taekwondo aerobic test. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. Epub ahead of print 2018, May 10:1-25. doi: 10.1123/ijspp.2017-0846. Pubmed.
- Hausen, M. Soares, P.P. Araujo, M.P. Porto, F. Franchini, F. Bridge, C.A. Gurgel, J. (2017). Physiological responses and external validity of a new setting for taekwondo combat simulation PLOSone. 3, 12 (2): e0171553. PubMed. doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0171553
- Boya, M. Foulsham, T. Hettinga, F, Parry, D, Williams E., Jones H., Sparks. A., Marchant D., Ellison, P. Bridge CA. McNaughton, L., Micklewright, D. (2017). Information acquisition differences of experienced and novice time trial cyclists. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 49(9):1884-1898. PubMed. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001304.
- Ward R, Bridge CA, McNaughton LR, Sparks SA. (2016). The effect of acute taurine ingestion on 4-km time trial performance in trained cyclists. Amino Acids. 48(11):2581-2587. PubMed. DOI: 10.1007/s00726-016-2282-4
- Miller P. Robinson, A. Sparks, A. Bridge, C.A. Bentley, D. McNaughton, LR. (2016). The effects of novel ingestion of sodium bicarbonate on repeated sprint ability. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 30 (2): 561-8. PubMed doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001126