Vicky McIver
BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science (Exercise and Health)
MRes in Sport and Exercise Science

A degree of self-belief

Vicky overcame a lack of confidence in her abilities to achieve success at undergraduate and postgraduate level at Edge Hill, before securing a coveted funded place on a PhD programme.

During her undergraduate degree, Vicky completed a professional practice placement at Aintree University Hospital where she gained additional practical skills in the use of ECG and exercise stress tests. She presented her final year undergraduate dissertation at the BASES Annual Student Conference and this experience gave her the confidence to progress to postgraduate studies. During her MRes studies, investigating the impact of the time of day on the physical responses to group based exercise classes, Victoria gained valuable work experience as a Technician within the sport and exercise science laboratories to develop the competencies needed to pursue doctoral study. She is now on her way to a career in academia – a career path she originally didn’t think was an option for her – thanks to the ‘life-changing’ opportunities she gained at Edge Hill.

“When I initially started my undergraduate degree, I had very little confidence in myself, and my ability to be a successful student was very low. However, the staff at Edge Hill University gave me the confidence and motivation to achieve great things, and for that I will be forever grateful”

Vicky McIver