Ross Jones
BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science (Applied Sports Science)

The route to a great career

A wealth of practical experience and specialist knowledge of new sports training technology, gained during his time at Edge Hill, helps Ross Jones keep Fleetwood Town Football Club’s players in tip top condition.

While studying, Ross focused on developing his applied skills, particularly the use of Global Positioning System (GPS) technology to analyse athletes’ performance. As well as undertaking a professional practice placement at Southport Football Club as a Sports Scientist/GPS Analyst, where he worked with the first team during their training sessions, Ross also completed a GPS workshop as part of his enrichment programme at Edge Hill. So, when Fleetwood Town FC were looking for someone to implement a GPS analysis system into its training programme, Ross had all the skills and experience they needed. Starting as Assistant First Team Sports Scientist, he excelled in his role and, in 2016, was appointed Head of Academy Sports Science and, is now responsible for training, analysis and monitoring strategies to enhance individual and team performance.

“I recently decided to continue my education at Edge Hill with an MRes in Sport and Exercise Science, which I’m studying alongside my full time role at the football club. The research I’m undertaking informs my practice as an applied practitioner.”

Ross Jones