Danielle McGifford
BA (Hons) Physical Education and School Sport

Healthy and active for life

As an international heptathlete and sports graduate, Danielle McGifford knows how important it is to educate children about the importance of a healthy and active lifestyle from a young age.

During her course, Danielle took part in several work related learning opportunities to enhance her skills and advance her career prospects in the field of school sports development. As well as industry placements, she also gave up her spare time to volunteer in a range of settings, which enabled her to gain practical experience of both the PE and school sports side of her programme. These opportunities enabled Danielle to secure a job with the St Helens Sports Development team as part of the School Games Programme, planning, organising and delivering sporting events for children in primary and secondary schools, and promoting key messages around the importance of health and physical activity.

“I often support current Edge Hill students who volunteer at the events I organise. The fact that I am now helping to lead these students is quite surreal as I was in their position myself only a year ago.”

Danielle McGifford