If you have applied through UCAS to study at Edge Hill University and firmly accepted an offer of a place for 2018 entry, you could develop your sporting performance by applying for a Sports Scholarship worth up to £1,000 per academic year.
Sports Scholarships have nothing to do with your financial situation, degree subject or academic achievement. If you are talented at sport and participate, coach or officiate at a competitive level, then we want to hear from you.
There are three distinctive levels of Sports Scholarship awards with different benefits and qualification criteria.
Please note, Sports Scholarships may be subject to change for 2018.
- Up to £1,000 towards training and competition expenses each academic year;
- Free annual Edge Hill Sport and Team Edge Hill membership;
- Free access to gym and other sports facilities;
- Free personal training;
- Sports science support package available based on your individual needs;
- Access to strength & conditioning sessions and nutritional advice;
- Free Sports Scholarship kit.
Please note, if you are awarded a Sports Scholarship, you must make satisfactory progress in both your sporting and academic pursuits to have the scholarship renewed annually prior to your graduation, irrespective of whether you are allocated a Gold, Silver or Bronze award.
To be eligible to apply for a Sports Scholarship, you must have applied to study a full-time undergraduate degree, full-time foundation degree, DipHE Paramedic Practice, or full-time PGCE at Edge Hill University and firmly accepted an offer of a place to study with us.
Your application will be judged against a set of benchmarks to determine whether your application has been successful and, if so, to establish Gold, Silver or Bronze classification.
You will need to demonstrate that you meet one of the benchmarks below for a particular level of Sports Scholarship. These competitive level benchmarks serve as preliminary guidelines only and do not guarantee the receipt of a Sports Scholarship or a specific level of award.
- International or national representation at junior or senior level within the last 12 months;
- Ranked in top 10 nationally;
- Athlete on a recognised National Governing Body (NGB) Performance pathway;
- Coaching or officiating at national level. For example, FA referee levels 1-4 or NGB equivalent.
- Regional or county representation at junior or senior level within the last 12 months;
- Current professional club first team or academy player;
- Sports administration at national or regional level. For example, National Governing Body (NGB) / Sportscoach UK / Sport England;
- Coaching or officiating at regional level. For example, FA referee levels 5-6 or NGB equivalent.
- The ability to make a significant contribution to sport at Edge Hill either in participation or in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competition;
- An outstanding contribution to community sport in coaching, officiating, administration or sports development.
If you are awarded a Sports Scholarship but subsequently defer your offer of a place to study with us, you will no longer be eligible to receive the Sports Scholarship, though you are welcome to re-apply for a Sports Scholarship in the following application cycle before you join your course. Please bear in mind, however, that there is a competitive application process so a successful outcome to your second application (or the same level of award) cannot be guaranteed.
Direct entrants to Years 2 or 3 of an undergraduate degree, as well as permanent employees of Edge Hill University, are not eligible for a Sports Scholarship.
A successful application for a Sports Scholarship will make you ineligible to receive an Excellence Scholarship.
How to Apply
To be considered for a Sports Scholarship, there is a competitive application process.
The Sports Scholarship application form will be available to download from this page when applications open in 2018.
A selection panel will judge all applications received. The level of Sports Scholarship (Gold, Silver or Bronze) awarded to successful applicants will be determined by the selection panel.
If you are awarded a Sports Scholarship, you will be expected to play a significant role in raising the standard of performance of the student sports teams and must be fully committed to training and competing for the University in British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) events wherever possible.