- Updated on 12/09/2019 with minor changes to the wording used to describe access levels in the Pure Admin Backend section.
- Updated on 03/09/2019 to clarify some data visible to editors in Pure.
- Updated on 25/07/2019 to incorporate changes in how we process your data since the introduction of Pure.
What Does This Privacy Notice Cover?
This privacy notice covers how, why and with whom the Research Office (including the Graduate School) will collect, store, use and share your data. We will be fair and transparent in how we process your data.
What is Not Covered?
It does not deal with how other parts of the University collect or process your data, or data collected as part of research projects.
Who to Contact?
If you have questions about how the Research Office processes your data, please contact Research@edgehill.ac.uk.
Protecting Your Data
- Our staff and associates are bound by obligations of confidentiality and trained in the protection of personal data.
- We will take all reasonable steps to comply with legislation and use appropriate technical and organisational measures necessary to safeguard your personal data.
- Personal data may be transferred to third parties who carry out further processing on our behalf in accordance with the purpose(s) for which the data was originally collected or may otherwise be lawfully processed.
- Data will only be shared where there is an operational need, whether this is with other Edge Hill departments or outside the University.
- Not all data we share is identifiable – we may supply total numbers or anonymise data before sharing. If anonymous data could result in re-identification, steps will be taken to avoid this, such as the use of minimum thresholds for reporting against identifiable criteria.
- Your data may be passed to us by other data processors at the University or by external organisations to enable us to carry out our duties.
- In other cases, we will receive your data from you, such as through submission of a form, or through the research information system (below).
- See the section on Retention for more details.
Processing Your Data
We may process your data to perform duties on behalf of the University for the following purposes:
- Research support, including for research funding, activity, collaborations, ethics, and outputs.
- Statistical returns including those submitted to the Higher Education Statistics Authority (HESA).
- The University’s public sector equality duties including Athena SWAN.
- Research assessment including the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- Research degree applications, enquiries, fee status, ongoing maintenance of your student registration, and examination.
Other purposes could arise on a case-by-case basis.
Research Information System (Pure)
- Most information in Pure that pertains to you will have been directly input by you or those responsible for research records in your department, faculty or the University. Some of this information will be input at your discretion, other data will be necessary in order for you (or others) to use the system/carry out your duties.
- Minimal information is also imported from Human Resources, Academic Registry and IT Services to create your profile and grant user access.
- Data in Pure is used for the recording, administration and management of research activity across the University by creating a record of the research undertaken by Edge Hill researchers. See Processing your data for further information.
- Information held in Pure is made available internally to support management and planning activities at departmental, faculty and institutional level.
- Data visible on the research information repository (portal) is publicly accessible. Former staff and students are automatically hidden from public view.
Pure admin backend
Access to the Pure backend is restricted to authorised users.
Access to data in the Pure backend is further restricted according to user roles, allocations to which are agreed between us and the relevant heads of department/associate deans for research:
- Personal user (standard academic user with portal profile; assigned according to current employment function, not by agreement with head). Can view their own content in full. Can view limited details of other personal users’ content in the Pure backend.
- Editors can view own content in full. Can view and/or report on and/or edit specific types of content related to other people in their designated organisational units.
- Certain editors can edit Pure person profiles, REF2 records, or create reports on the REF submission. These users therefore have read only access to date of birth and gender for those profiles.
- Content administrators can view, report on and edit specific record types from across the entire institution.
- System administrators can view, report on and edit all record types for the entire institution.
Editors and administrators are bound by a data protection notice.
|Data||Primary location||Primary source||Retention period (after user leaves EHU)||Rationale|
|Name||Pure||Staff/student record||Permanent||To retain connections to content|
|Departmental affiliation at EHU – most recent||Pure||Staff/student record||Permanent||To retain connections to content|
|Departmental affiliations at EHU – previous||Pure||Staff/student record||2 complete REF cycles||Used for CVs|
|FTE||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF/EIA|
|Post title||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Date of birth||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF/EIA|
|Gender||Pure||Staff/student record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF/EIA|
|Staff/student ID number||Pure||Staff/student record||Permanent||To retain connections to content|
|University e-mail address||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Pure user account||Pure||EHU network||3 months||Only needed for active users|
|Narrative profile information||Pure||Pure user||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Pure ID||Pure||Pure||Permanent||To retain connections to content|
|HESA ID||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF|
|IDs (Scopus, ORCID, etc.)||Pure||Pure user||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Name variants||Pure||Pure user||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Profile photo||Pure||Pure user||2 complete REF cycles||Used for profiles|
|Funding application/award data||Pure||Pure user||Permanent||Legacy reporting|
|Research impact records||Pure||Pure user||Permanent||Legacy reporting/open access research|
|Research outputs||Pure||Pure user||Permanent||Legacy reporting/open access research|
|Other research content||Pure||Pure user||Permanent||To retain connections to content|
|REF staff data||Pure||Staff record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF/EIA|
|Other REF data||Pure||Various||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF/EIA|
|Doctoral theses (awarded by EHU)||Pure||Pure user||Permanent||Open access research|
|Doctoral research degree supervisor/student relationship (thesis)||Pure||Student record||Permanent||Thesis metadata record|
|Doctoral research degree supervisor/student relationship (profiles)||Pure||Student record||2 complete REF cycles||Needed for the REF|
|MRes dissertations (awarded by EHU)||Network drive||Student||End of registration + 1 academic year||Only used for assessment|
|Visiting professor/lecturer details||Network drive||Visitor||Duration of offer + 1 academic year||For reference during the offer|
|Research degree external supervisor CV||Network drive||Supervisor||Approval of supervisory team + 90 days||Only needed for approval|
|Research degree external examiner CV||Network drive||Examiner||Approval of viva team + 90 days||Only needed for approval|
|Research degree applications data||Network drive||Applicant||Current year + 1 academic year||Monitoring|
|Research degree student records||Network drive||Various||Last action on record + 6 academic years||As per Academic Registry retention period|
|Committee minutes and papers (serviced by RO)||Network drive||Various||7 academic years||Audit|