Institute for Creative Enterprise and FACT film academy course.
Are you aged 16-19? Interested in working in the film industry? Do you live in the Northwest of England? If you answered ‘yes’ to all three questions, then we have the perfect course for you.
BFI Course Video- find out more
The Institute for Creative Enterprise (Edge Hill University) has teamed up with FACT in Liverpool to bring you a BFI Film Academy course.
Under the guidance of our film experts, this hands-on course builds knowledge and skills, supporting talented and committed young people on a pathway into the industry.
This programme is ideal for those with a passion for film as you will develop an understanding of screenwriting, cinematography, sound, directing, production, and editing. The BFI Film Academy is the perfect opportunity to explore the possibilities of further education or a platform to taking the first steps into the creative industry and gain the BFI/Screen Skills NCFE ‘Preparing to Work in the Film Industry’ qualification.
Applications are now open for our 2023-24 course. See more details and how to apply below.
- Get hands-on filmmaking experience which will help you to develop practical knowledge and skills.
- Explore your own creativity and passions in a supportive and dynamic environment.
- Gain invaluable experience working alongside industry professionals who are respected practitioners in their field.
- Watch a range of cinema from British Independent to specialised films.
- Learn how to write and direct– how to generate stories and how to communicate with actors.
- Gain an understanding of each of the different roles involved in making films- from story, to screen to screen, with workshops in cinematography, sound, editing and producing.
- Work in teams towards a practical film-based project.
This course takes place in person at FACT, 88 Wood Street, Liverpool L1 4DQ.
Course entry requirements
- Applicants must be 16-19 years old on the first day of the course (13th November 2023)
- Applicants must live in the Northwest of England and be a UK resident
- Applicants must not currently be enrolled at university, or be at university when the course starts
- Applicants must not previously have taken part in a BFI Academy course
Film academy course dates
On each of the below dates, the course will run between 5pm-9pm.
- Session one: Monday 13 November 2023
- Session two: Monday 20 November 2023
- Session three: Monday 27 November 2023
- Session four: Monday 4 December 2023
- Session five: Monday 11 December 2023
- Christmas break
- Session six: Monday 8 January 2024
- Session seven: Monday 15 January 2024
- Session eight: Monday 22 January 2024
- Session nine: Monday 29 January 2024
- Session 10: Monday 5 February 2024
ICE and FACT are dedicated to making film accessible to all. We welcome applications no matter your background or previous experience.
The course fee is £25, with bursaries available for those who require financial assistance to participate, including fees and/or travel costs.
Deadline for applications: Friday 29 September, 5pm
Get in touch
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the opportunity further, please contact the ICE admin team: