Mike Hartill is Professor in the Sociology of Sport at Edge Hill University (Department of Social Sciences) and director of the Centre for Child Protection and Safeguarding in Sport (CPSS). He has conducted research into child sexual exploitation in sport since 2001 and delivered undergraduate programmes on child welfare in sport since 2002. Mike has worked on a number of national and international projects aimed at preventing abuse of children in sport and has collaborated with many organisations from a range of sectors including higher education, child protection, and sport. He recently authored a research monograph ‘Sexual abuse in youth sport: a sociocultural analysis’ (Routledge, 2016). His recent research includes the VOICE Project – an EU-funded collaboration between eight European countries focused on the experiences of victims of sexual abuse in sport. Mike is currently leading an international study into the prevelance of abuse in sport (CASES: Child Abuse in Sport: European Statistics) (also funded by the EU Erasmus+ programme). Mike also serves as an academic expert on sexual violence in sport for the Council of Europe/EU initiative ‘Safeguarding in Sport’; he is a founding member of the Sport England Advisory Panel (SEAP); and is currently providing expertise on child protection in sport for the English Football Association’s independent review into allegations of child sexual abuse in football.
- Sexual abuse in youth sport: a sociocultural analysis
- Reports of child protection and safeguarding concerns in sport and leisure settings: an analysis of English Local Authority data between 2010 and 2015
- “I know people think I’m a complete pain in the neck”: An examination of the introduction of child protection and ‘safeguarding’ in British sport from the perspective of national governing body Safeguarding Lead Officers.
- Exploring Narratives of Boyhood Sexual Subjection in Male-Sport
- Suffering in gratitude: sport and the sexually abused male child
- Evaluation in safeguarding and child protection in sport