Edge Hill Drama students have boosted their employability thanks to director, actor and radio presenter Stefan Escreet who delivered a workshop and shared a wealth of industry knowledge.

Stefan delivered an Acting for Radio workshop where there were plenty of opportunities for students to practice the techniques used in the production of professional radio drama, including microphone techniques, sound effects and the use of breath in voice recording.

Following the sessions students received their own professionally edited radio play which could be the beginning of them creating an acting voicereel, something that is essential when pursuing voice acting as a career.

Aspiring actor Jack Schofield, a third year Drama student, found the workshops really useful.

“The workshop taught me about the different routes into radio and provided me with transferable skills I can use in all kinds of acting,” said Jack. “Stefan is well known in the BBC and the tips and advice he provided gave me a real insight into how the whole process works. I’d like to become an actor one day, maybe in the theatre as the audience really drives me, and this is something that will look good on my CV.”

Lynx Huseltine is a study abroad student from Michigan and is studying Drama at Edge Hill for three months. Podcasting is her dream job and she’s also interested in radio drama, so this workshop was invaluable for her.

“The workshop highlighted the importance of being aware of yourself. When you’re on the radio, you’re just a voice, no one can see you, so you have to think about every single sound. In the future I’d love to produce my own podcast and Stefan has helped provide me with the skills to be able to do it. The job market is so competitive, so I hope having a workshop delivered by a credible industry professional will help me get one step ahead of the competition.”

As the first Associate Director at Theatre by the Lake in Keswick, Stefan has directed over 40 productions and also led on New Writing. He went on to establish the award winning Ragged Edge Theatre Company and continues to work as a freelance radio producer and director with BBC Radio Drama, working on programmes across the Radio 4 schedule.

“It’s always a pleasure to introduce students to the wonderful world of radio drama,” said Stefan. “Their generation is making the medium their own through podcasting and I look forward to hearing them in exciting new audio work in the future.  The welcome was really warm and the facilities are fantastic at Edge Hill.”

Julie McCabe, Lecturer in Drama, said:

“It was a privilege to welcome Stefan Escreet to Edge Hill to work with our Drama Students. Not only was this ‘Acting for Radio’ workshop an exciting opportunity for our students to work with a leading industry producer and director but it gave them the chance to be directed in a professional short play for radio. More and more career opportunities for the recorded voice are opening up for actors and this session was both an excellent way for students to practice and develop practical skills and techniques as well as introducing them to future career destinations.”

Click here for more information about Edge Hill’s Drama course.