Helen Isherwood
BA (Hons) Dance

Setting the stage

When Helen successfully applied for the Youth Dance Ambassador Placement at The Lowry Theatre, she knew that she wanted to pursue a career within the dance industry. With support and encouragement from her tutors and advice from the Learning and Engagement Team at The Lowry, Helen completed her placement during her final year of studies.

The placement gave Helen experience of co-ordinating two dance festivals, delivering programmes and organising auditions, which prepared her for employment upon completing her Dance degree programme.

Helen is now the Youth Dance Company Co-ordinator at The Lowry, and her role involves organising workshops with visiting dance companies and regional artists and pastoral care. She is also currently supporting the NorthWestDance team with their upcoming dance festival U.Dance 2018 and assisting with The Lowry’s tenth anniversary celebrations.

“I selected modules from the applied strand that were delivered by the professional lecturers and also outside companies and artists who provided me with the knowledge and understanding that I needed to enter the industry. I learnt the art of networking and communicating during my studies, and I felt prepared and ready when graduating from university.”

Helen Isherwood