Shedding light on Manchester Central Library and student talent

Cultural collaborations

A late night at the library ignited the careers of Edge Hill Dance students and alumni. Following successful auditions, 17 current and former members of Edge FWD and 3rd Edge were selected to work with Company Chameleon on their site specific dance project Illuminate.

Illuminate incorporated new dance, music and light into a stimulating performance for Manchester Central Library’s cultural programme, Library Live. The students were employed to work with seven Edge Hill graduates as part of a professional ensemble of 60 dancers, musicians, and collaborators, choreographed by the award winning Kevin Turner.

Illuminate gave students experience of professional practice, creatively working towards a live brief. The work was seen live by an audience of over 500 people and reached a global audience of thousands via social media.

“I really wanted to give a development opportunity to these aspiring young dancers. I thought it would be great experience for them to be part of a professional production, plus every time I come here I really like the atmosphere. I really like the ethos, I always have a great time with the students, they work really hard and I knew they would do a great job.”

Kevin Edward Turner, Artistic Director of Company Chameleon