To stimulate debate and highlight academic research, Edge Hill University’s Institute for Social Responsibility (ISR) has launched a new blog space for experts to give their analysis of current events.
The ISR aims to make a positive impact on societal issues through cross-disciplinary research and knowledge exchange activities and critically examines social responsibility across the social sciences, arts and humanities.
You can find regular updates on a huge range of subjects on the new ISR blog. Most recently Edge Hill’s experts have been having their say on the many impacts Covid-19 is having on our lives.
Professor Jo Crotty, Director of the ISR said:
“The scope and range of issues touched by this Covid-19 event are vast; and we have a depth and range of expertise within the Edge Hill research community to make an active and meaningful contribution to the wider debate.
“During this unprecedented time of transition and change the ISR provides a home to those who want to reflect and to think strategically and differently about social responsibility in our changing world.
“We are therefore asking academics to submit blog posts on a range of issues over the coming weeks in the hope that we can start lots of vibrant and animated discussions.”
You can find a collection of fascinating blogs about Covid-19 on the ISR Blog Space. These include:
- ‘Is it kindness that matters?’ by Professor of Marketing Kim Cassidy analysing the response of the retail industry to coronavirus.
- ‘Democracy in the Lockdown’ by Programme Leader for Politics Paula Keaveney who looks at the cancellation of local elections in the wake of the pandemic.
- ‘The Arts and COVID-19: A Time of Danger and Opportunity?’ by Professor of Arts and Wellbeing Vicky Karkou who explores whether the current crisis can have positive impacts on the arts industry.
- ‘Lockdown 2020 – The Impact on Social Care’ by Senior Lecturer in Health and Social Care Dr Michael Richards giving his thoughts on how social care has been affected during lockdown.
- ‘Fingerprints, DNA and Policing Powers during COVID-19’ by Senior Lecturer in Law and Counter Terrorism Policing Dr Simon Hale-Ross looking at the powers given to the police to enforce lockdown measures.
These are just some of the huge range of blogs currently being posted by the ISR on an almost daily basis. Check the ISR blog space regularly for updates – https://blogs.edgehill.ac.uk/isr/latest-posts/. You can even join in the discussion from the safety of your own home in the new comments section under each blog. Take a look and have your say.
Learn more about the work of the ISR or find out how you can contribute on their homepage www.edgehill.ac.uk/isr/. Check back when the lockdown is lifted to attend one of the ISR’s seminars, workshops and lectures which were held on a regular basis.