Celebrations as the women’s basketball team revel in their title success. Photo: Ian Shard

It was a winning Wednesday for many of Edge Hill’s teams – although the wait must go on for the women’s footballers, who were hoping to wrap up the Northern 2A title.

They did all they could after ending Manchester firsts’ promotion ambitions with an impressive 4-2 away victory in their final league game of the campaign, with Ruby Howard and Mia Pemberton both scoring twice. They lead the table by three points but have an inferior goal difference to second-placed University of Liverpool firsts, who were 9-0 winners over Bangor firsts. A win for Liverpool over Manchester in their final fixture on 25 March would see them go up at the expense of Edge Hill – anything less and it’ll be a second successive promotion for the Green Army.

In other football, there were victories for the men’s first and second teams in their final league fixtures. The former were 4-1 winners over Liverpool Hope firsts to end the season third in Northern 2A, while the latter won 2-1 at Manchester thirds to all but secure third in Northern 4A in manager Josh Green’s last game in charge.

Andrew Shaw on the defensive during the 3-2 victory over Salford firsts. Photo: Chris Mowatt

Anna Hollis pictured in the England Universities strip

The men’s hockey team completed their championship-winning Northern 3A campaign unbeaten after securing a 3-2 victory over relegated Salford firsts thanks to Nick Fletcher’s hat-trick while the women’s firsts, who repeated that feat and will also play at Northern 2A level next season, won 2-1 at Manchester seconds to end their campaign on a high note. There was also extra reason to celebrate with the news that star player Anna Hollis had been confirmed as part of the final England University squad for April’s Home Nations. There was no luck for the seconds though, beaten 4-0 at Manchester Met seconds with Northern 5A hockey in prospect for them in 2019/20.

Lewis Hardman’s slam dunk contributed to the shock 77-70 victory over Manchester Met thirds. Photo: Clare Southall

A shock victory came in basketball as Edge Hill firsts defeated Northern 3A champions Manchester Met thirds 77-70 to secure their status at this level. Captain Lewis Mallows, who contributed 20 points, confirmed that “it was a fantastic performance and a huge effort from every single player.” Ieuan Vanner was top-scorer with 29, while Daniel Eglits also chipped in with 24.

The title-winning women’s team were also victors, 67-22 over Liverpool seconds to complete an impressive Northern 3A campaign with eight wins from eight.

There were mixed results in badminton: the men’s firsts, runners-up in Northern 3A, crushed previously unbeaten champions Manchester seconds 7-1 to end their season on a positive note, while the thirds earned a creditable 3-3 draw with Northern 5A champions Manchester Met seconds. No such joy for the men’s seconds though, who went down 8-0 at University of Liverpool seconds with Northern 4A badminton in prospect for them next term.

Unfortunately, anything that could go wrong, did go wrong as Edge Hill rugby league side’s bid for silverware ended at the Trophy semi-final stage. Northumbria seconds ruthlessly punished some ill-discipline in the Tigers’ ranks, which saw two of their players dismissed, to run out 68-0 winners in the North East in the all-Northern 1A clash.

There was no joy either for the seconds and thirds in netball, as both mid-table sides went down to defeat: Liverpool John Moores thirds beating the former 39-27, while the latter were defeated 49-35 at home to unbeaten Northern 6A champions Manchester fifths.