Journals & Databases
These collections provide instant access to scholarly research, journal articles and book reviews. They may be accessed 24/7 and each collection has its own help and guidance on the home page.
SAGE Research Methods is a database which supports research at all levels by providing material to guide users through every step of the research process. Resources include a methods map, case studies, datasets, books, reference works, journal articles and instructional videos from world-leading academics.
We are currently trialling this database, and full access will be available to staff and students until 13th February 2020.
We would love to hear your feedback about this resource, so please try it out and then email email@example.com to tell us what you think of SAGE Research Methods.
Key Journal Collections
- SPORTDiscus A comprehensive resource of full text journal articles for sports and sports medicine subject areas.
Additional Journal Collections
- Academic Search Premier A large multidisciplinary database offering a wide range of full text peer reviewed journal articles, indexes and abstracts.
- Anatomy TV provides 3D models and illustrations of human anatomy.
- Box of Broadcasts is an on demand TV and radio service for education. The academically-focused system enables you to record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels, and search an extensive archive. Box of Broadcasts is intuitive and easy to use, so you may find you can start straight away. However, if you need a bit of help, take a look at the video tutorials.
- CINAHL Complete contains information useful for sports research, including biomedicine, consumer health, athletic training, physical therapy and rehabilitation and nutrition.
- Journal for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour is the official journal of the International Society for the Measurement of Physical Behaviour. It publishes research on fundamental measurement problems, and the use and application of wearable technology.
- Ovid Journals A collection of health and sport journals.
- PsycINFO This psychology resource is of interest to those concerned with the role the mind plays in sport and physical activity.
- ScienceDirect Offers full text to journal articles for subjects including sport and physical activities.
- Taylor and Francis Online A multidisciplinary collection covering many subject areas, including sport.
- Scopus is the world’s largest abstract and citation database, containing 24,600 journals from 5,000 publishers. It is excellent for literature reviews or for finding out what has been published in your area as it can locate high quality journal articles, book chapters and more, for any subject.
- Wiley Online Library Multidisciplinary resource that covers the full spectrum of science, medicine, technology, business, social sciences, and the humanities.
We have a trial subscription of International Newstream. This has recent and archive coverage from over 660 newspapers from outside the USA and Canada, including Daily Telegraph, Financial Times, Guardian and The Times. The trial will run until 31st January 2020.
Newspapers can be a useful way of keeping up to date with current affairs or recent events. Daily newspapers can be found in Catalyst, in the area underneath the main staircase. The last 30 days’ worth are kept on the second floor in the Journals collection. Newspaper archives usually contain issues which are less recent and which are useful for finding articles of a more historical interest.
- Daily Mail Historical Archive 1896.2004 contains news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society. Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue. Useful for historical research.
- Gale OneFile: News contains articles from over 2300 newspapers from around the world. These include major British newspapers, as well as US and Australian titles. It also has thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- LexisNexis contains over 650 regional and national UK newspapers from 1982 to the present. It is possible to limit your search to either national or regional titles, or you can search the whole of the newspaper database.
- Times Digital Archive contains every issue of The Times from 1785 to 1985. You can search by keyword or for a particular issue and each story appears as it looks in the original copy of the newspaper.
Professional bodies are the societies and associations that promote a profession and the people working within them. Many provide useful information on their website along with regular news updates. Many professional bodies offer individual student membership at a low annual membership.
- Activity Alliance is the national body for disabled people in sport and physical activity throughout England.
- American College of Sports Medicine Representing 70 occupations within the sports medicine field,
- Association for Physical Education (afPE) Representative organisation for people and agencies delivering or supporting the delivery of physical education in schools and in the wider community.
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences The professional body for all those with an interest in science, sport and exercise.
- British Sociological Association The British Sociological Association promotes sociology, supports sociologists and is the public face of sociology in Britain.
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity Aims to develop a UK wide sport and physical activity.
- Chief Leisure and Culture Officers Association Represents senior strategic leaders managing public sector cultural, tourism and sport services.
- International Society for Coaching Psychology International professional membership body established to further the discipline and profession of coaching psychology.
- International Sociology of Sport Association Explores sport from a sociological perspective.
- The Physiological Society Promote physiology and support those working in the field.
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Government department responsible for sport.
- Disability Sport Function is to create opportunities and make sport available to everyone, regardless of their ability.
- NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Unit An organisatoin that aims to build capacity of sports to safeguard children and young people in and through sport and to enable sports organisations to lead the way in keeping children safe from harm.
- Play the Game An international conference and communication initiative aiming to strengthen the ethical foundation of sport and promote democracy, transparency and freedom of expression in sport.
- Sport England Lottery and Exchequer funded body focused on helping people and communities across the country create a sporting habit for life.
- Sporting Equals Promotes greater involvement by all communities that are disengaged especially the black and minority ethnic population in sport and physical activity.
- UK Coaching are an organisation focused on recruiting, retaining and developing coaches.
- UK Sport Responsible for investing public funds in high performance sport.
- Women in Sport Campaigning to transform sport for women and girls in the United Kingdom.