Journals & Databases
These collections provide instant access to scholarly research, journal articles and book reviews. They may be accessed 24/7 and each collection has its own help and guidance on the home page.
Journal & Database Collections
- Academic Search Premier is a large multidisciplinary database offering a wide range of full text peer reviewed journal articles, indexes and abstracts.
- Box of Broadcasts is an on demand TV and radio service for education. The academically-focused system enables you to record programmes from over 65 free-to-air channels, and search an extensive archive. Box of Broadcasts is intuitive and easy to use, so you may find you can start straight away
- Policing Insight publishes articles, reports, news and analysis on all aspects of policing and criminal justice. For full access register with your Edge Hill email address.
- SAGE Research Methods is a database which supports research at all levels by providing material to guide users through every step of the research process. Resources include a methods map, case studies, datasets, books, reference works, journal articles and instructional videos from world-leading academics.
- ScienceDirect is a resource that offers full text Journal articles for subjects, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Life Sciences, Health Sciences, Social Sciences and also Humanities.
- Taylor and Francis Online is a collection of multidisciplinary journals covering subjects from Arts, Humanities, Computer Sciences, Social Sciences, Geography, Sports and many more.
Newspapers can be a useful way of keeping up to date with current affairs or recent events. Newspaper archives usually contain issues which are less recent and which are useful for finding articles of a more historical interest.
- Daily Mail Historical Archive 1896-2004 contains news stories and images that capture 20th century culture and society. Offers full page and article images with searchable full text back to the first issue.
- Gale OneFile: News contains articles from over 2300 newspapers from around the world. These include major British newspapers, as well as US and Australian titles. It also has thousands of images, radio and TV broadcasts and transcripts.
- LexisNexis contains over 650 regional and national UK newspapers from 1982 to the present. It is possible to limit your search to either national or regional titles, or you can search the whole of the newspaper database.
- Times Digital Archive contains every issue of The Times from 1785 to 2019. You can search by keyword or for a particular issue and each story appears as it looks in the original copy of the newspaper.
- Amnesty International are a global human rights campaigning organisation.
- Centre for Justice and Reconciliation promotes the use of restorative justice in criminal justice systems around the world.
- College of Policing is a professional body for the police in England and Wales, which undertakes a training and development role.
- European Institute for Crime Prevention and Control (HEUNI) is an independent research and policy making institute. The website contains the full text of its publications.
- Howard League for Penal Reform is a charity that campaigns for penal reform.
- Human Rights Watch is a non-profit, non-governmental human rights organisation.
- Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) (formerly the IPCC) oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and sets the standards by which the police should handle complaints. It is independent, making its decisions entirely independently of the police and government. It is not part of the police.
- Liberty is an organisation that campaigns for civil liberties and human rights in the UK.
- Police Magazine is the magazine of the Police Federation.
- The Prison Reform Trust campaigns for more effective community disposals and penal reform.