I think I’m dyslexic, what should I do?

If you think that you might have dyslexia you can arrange a Welcome Appointment with one of our Advisors. Based on the results of this appointment, you may then decide to pay the £100 contribution and go on to book a diagnostic assessment.

A diagnostic assessment is carried out by a specialist assessor to assess for a Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).

For more information please follow the link below:


What is a Needs Assessment?

This is an appointment with a needs assessor to discuss individual learning requirements based on a diagnostic assessment to produce recommendations to Student Finance England (SFE) for study support and technologies.

What is a Next Steps appointment?

A Next Steps Appointment is the 3rd step in the assessment process for students who think they have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD).
It is used to discuss the results from a diagnostic assessment and to complete a Student Support Plan (SSP), exam modifications form and other key documentation.

How can I get Support?

The team offer support to all students from initial engagement with the service. If you would like to find out more about the support that is available you can contact us at


01695 657 526

Can I get financial support?

You may be entitled to Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). There is more information on the Applying for DSA web page and you can contact us by phone on 01695 657 526 or send an email to SpLD@edgehill.ac.uk


What Assistive Technology is available?

We have the following programs available on the university network:

  • Claro Read Text To Speech
  • Read & Write Gold Text to Speech and Literacy support
  • Inspiration Mind Mapping Software
  • MindView Mind Mapping and Project Management Software

Visit the Assistive Technology page for more information

Where are the Disability Support team based?

The SpLD team and Learning Support team are based on the first floor of the Catalyst and can be reached via the Catalyst helpdesk on the ground floor.