Laura Keegan
LLB (Hons) Law, 2011

Performing to the gallery

Performing Arts doesn’t typically lead to Magistrates’ and Crown Court, but it’s where Drama student Laura’s career took her, via an Edge Hill Law degree. She has now gained the qualifications needed to be a solicitor, studying her LPC at law school, and soon joining the Crown Prosecution Service.

Initial caseworker/paralegal work led to private practice caseloads while applying for a training contract, with Laura soon a trainee solicitor qualifying in 2017.  A typical day now involves fast-paced, exciting and extremely interesting prosecution roles in Magistrates’ Court, and occasional shadowing of barristers dealing with complex Crown Court cases.

Having not put pen to paper for two years, she struggled at Edge Hill at first, but soon developed strong written skills, her will to succeed over-riding all concerns and the teaching staff and careers teams helping with her CV, job applications, and suggesting valuable work experience. What’s more, she instinctively knew Edge Hill was for her.

“I researched the Law department, met tutors at an open-day, deciding to submit my application – one of the best decisions I ever made. I never doubted the university.”

Laura Keegan