During your studies
Depending on your status in the UK you may be able to work during your time here, however, there may be certain restrictions. In order to work in the UK you will need a National Insurance (NI) number, please see our careers webpage for more information.
Tier 4 Students
Tier 4 student are able to work in the UK, however this is restricted.
- Students on Level 6 (Degree level) programmes or higher will normally have permission to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during term time, this will be stated on your passport.
- Students on programmes at Level 3 (International Foundation Programme) will normally limited to working a maximum of 10 hours per week during term time
The immigration rule define a working week as a period of 7 days beginning with a Monday and ending on a Sunday. Please ensure that you are not exceeding your maximum hours over any week.
Students on a Short-Term Study visa are not eligible to work in the UK. This includes voluntary work.
EU/EEA national are free to work unrestricted hours in the UK and do not need to obtain permission, however please ensure you obtain a NI number.
After your studies
Graduate route: Post-study Work
Student Union Sabbatical Officer
If you are successful in being elected as one of the Students’ Union full-time, paid Sabbatical positions e.g. Students’ Union President, you are able to extend your Tier 4 Visa to cover this period of employment.
This is an exception to the Tier 4 Visa rules and will allow you to work full-time for the duration of your time as a Sabbatical Officer. In order to apply for this visa you will need to meet all the requirements for a standard Tier 4 Visa application. Please visit the International Office for advice if you are thinking of standing in the Sabbatical Officer elections.
Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme (DES)
If you are currently studying a PhD at Edge Hill University and are coming to the end of your studies you may be able to apply for a 1 year Tier 4 Visa Extension. This allows you to work full-time and unrestricted within the UK. The purpose of this visa is to allow you time in the UK to gain employment within your chosen area and switch to a Tier 2 working visa.
In order to apply you must,
- Have current Tier 4 leave to study a PhD or other Doctorate level qualification
- You must not have completed your course
- You must not have already been granted leave under DES
- You must be a current student at Edge Hill University
- You must be applying a maximum of 60 days before the expected end date of your course
Tier 2 Visa
The Tier 2 (General) Visa is the main working visa for nationals outside the EU/EEA to work full-time in the UK. In order to make an application under this category you will need an offer of employment and a Certificate of Sponsorship from a Tier 2 licensed sponsor within the UK. For up-to-date information on the requirement of this visa it is recommend that you visit the UKV&I webpages.
If you are planning to switch to this visa category after completing your degree as a Tier 4 student (either as a Undergraduate or Postgraduate), you must have successfully completed your programme and have your official certificates and transcripts from Edge Hill University.
Tier 5 Visa
The Tier 5 visa category is for temporary workers in the UK and is made up of the following subcategories:
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-charity) Visa
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-creative and sporting) Visa
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-government authorised exchange) Visa
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-international agreement) Visa
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-religious worker) Visa
- Tier 5 (Temporary worker-Youth Mobility Scheme) Visa
For up-to-date information and to assess whether you are eligible to apply for one of the above visas, it is recommend that you visit the UKV&I webpages on Tier 5 visas.