Study Abroad is a student mobility programme organised internally by Edge Hill University, which allows students to study at Universities across the globe that we have an exchange partnership with during their degree programme. We currently have several partners across the globe in many different subject areas. In this section you will find all the essential information you need to take part in the Study Abroad programme.
Why go on an exchange?
There are a number of reasons why students go on exchange some common reasons are:
- The experience of living and studying in another country
- To learn another language
- To enhance their CV and employability
- To gain new skills
- To meet new people
- Opens up new and exciting graduate employment markets
‘Graduates who were mobile during their degrees were 1.3 times less likely to be unemployed than their non-mobile peers (3.7% compared to 4.9%).’
‘Mobile students are more likely to achieve a First Class (1st) or Upper Second Class (2.1) in their degree (81% compared to 72%).’
How to apply
Please only apply for opportunities that have been advertised
Please download and complete the application form below and either hand in to the International Office in Stanley Hall 10 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications for the academic year 2020-21 must be submitted by 5pm on Thursday 6th February 2020.
Please note some subject areas may require an interview and additional application support – you will be told of this once you submit you application
Current – YEAR 1 Applicants
If you are a year 1 student this year (2019-20) you can:
- Apply for a semester abroad during your 2nd year, if available – students must discuss with their Department.
- Wait to apply for a Study Abroad year in your 2nd year – Please talk to your Department International Co-ordinator to discuss how to change your degree into a 4 year ‘Study Abroad year’ programme, if you haven’t already.
- Please come to the International Office (Stanley Hall 10) to check if we have places available.
- Please fully complete the Study Abroad application, along with an academic reference (Academic Reference)
- All applications for the academic year 2020-21 must be submitted by 5pm on Thursday 6th February 2020.
Current – YEAR 2 Applicants (Study Abroad year option)
If you are a 2nd year student looking to take part in the programme during your Study Abroad year next year please complete the following:
- Please talk to your department International Co-ordinator to discuss how to change your degree into a 4 year Study Abroad year programme if you haven’t already
- Please come to the International Office (Stanley Hall 10) to check if we have places available
- Please fully complete the Study Abroad application along with an academic reference (Academic Reference)
- All applications for the academic year 2020-21 must be submitted by 5pm on Thursday 6th February 2020
Who is eligible?
Students who are presently in their first year of study on a full time three year degree or sandwich/ study abroad 4 year programme are able to apply to go on exchange.
Most exchanges take place during year 2 or in a Study Abroad year between year 3 and 4.
How will I fund my exchange?
Student Opportunity Fund
For 2020-21 students can apply for the Student Opportunity Fund (SOF) here at Edge Hill to help subsidise their Study Abroad mobility.
Student finance travel grant
Student Finance offers means tested travel grants for students studying abroad as part of their course. For full details see the Travel Grants page but in summary, you can apply for funding towards:
- Up to 3 return flights from the UK to your Host Country
- Visas, medical insurance and essential expenditure
You must pay the ﬁrst £303 of your travel costs – and your travel grant will be reduced by £1 for each £8.73 of household income over £39,796
Maintenance Loan/ grant
- you will still be eligible to apply for a maintenance loan/grant
- For students studying abroad, the amount of loan available may be slightly higher, see the Student Finance pages for the latest amounts
What about tuition fees?
For 2020-21 Edge Hill University provides tuition fee support via the Student Opportunity Fund for students taking part in International mobility:
- Students on ERASMUS full year/Year Abroad – tuition fees = £1,385 (this will be covered by SOF)
- Students on ERASMUS+ or Study Abroad half year – tuition fees – £9,250 (half of this will be covered by SOF) – Therefore students will have to pay £4,625 and SOF will cover £4,625
Once selected this will be adjusted with your fee provider.
This may change each year, applicants will be informed of any changes.
Will it count towards my degree?
You will study approximately the same number of credits as you would if you had stayed at Edge Hill University (1 year = 120credits, 1 semester = 60credits). You will still be registered as an EHU student whilst at the Partner University. Once you have returned from Studying Abroad your results won’t count towards your final degree classification but you will be required to successfully complete your modules at the partner university.
Do I need to know a language?
The majority of our host institutions deliver in English and will not require you to know another language; however you may find it useful to learn some basics. You may also wish to consider EHU Language Learning opportunities, where relevant, in preparation for your time abroad. More information can be found here.