Brexit and the EU Settlement Scheme

Last updated 05 February 2020

The UK left the EU on the 31 January 2020 but we are now in a transition phase until at least 31 December 2020 and EEA /Swiss nationals still have the right to live, work and study here, and to enter the UK with their passport or national identity card.

If you are planning on staying in the UK after the transition phase, then you will need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

What is the EU settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme is a simple and free online application for EEA/Swiss nationals so that they can show they are living in the UK now and therefore can continue to live, work and study in the UK.

The deadline to apply is 30 June 2021 and you will need to be living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

You can apply for settled or pre-settled status:
Settled Status is given to those who have been residing in the UK for 5 years.
Pre-settled Status is given to those who have been in the UK for less than 5 years. Once you have been here for 5 years you can then receive settled status.

Advice on the settlement scheme (UKCISA)

How do I apply?

You can apply here

You will need:

  • your passport or national ID card or biometric residence permit for family members
  • access to an android device or an iPhone 7 or above
  • proof of residence or a National Insurance Number

Using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app (UKVI)

Come to see us in Stanley 7, International Office Support Team, if you need any other help with your application.

Students arriving in September 2020 or January 2021

If you are arriving in September 2020 to start your course then you will be able to enter the UK with your passport or national identity card and then apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

If you are arriving after the end of the transition period (currently 31 December 2020 – this could be extended) then you will need to apply for a visa under a new immigration system that is not in place yet, although it is most likely to be the same as the current Tier 4 (General) student visa for non-EEA/Swiss nationals.