This video shows you how to scrutinise a text and assess the strength of the arguments made within it. You will find it useful to download a copy of the full text which can be found at:
Suggested teaching session:
- All read the article.
- Group Discussion, focusing on these questions:
- What is the principal idea contained in the piece?
- How is that idea put over and supported?
- How convincing is the article?
- Watch the critique
- Discuss the critique, focusing on
- How valid are the points made in the critique?
- Can the approach be applied to other texts
- What might be involved in applying this approach?
- Plenary focusing on the question: What has been learnt about approaching texts of this nature?