This event is to highlight the impactful, multidisciplinary research regarding pregnancy being undertaken at Edge Hill University. The plenary entitled “Exploring the role of nutrition during pregnancy: the impact on maternal and offspring health and chronic disease risk” is being delivered by Dr Paige van der Plight, a Deputy Course Director, Master of Dietetics visiting from Deakin University in Australia. There are also presentations from Giliane McKelvin, Midwifery; Dr Julie Abayomi, Nutrition; Emma Perris; Dance Movement Psychotherapy and Dr Lena Simic from Performing Arts. There will be time for networking, reflection and research planning as part of the interactive event, led by Professor Vicky Karkou. The symposium is suitable for students, academics and practitioners, particularly those with an interest in pregnancy.
Guest speaker: Dr Paige van der Plight, Deakin University Melbourne
Dr Paige van der Pligt is a Dietitian with several years’ experience working across the public and private healthcare sectors. She is currently a Lecturer in Nutrition and Dietetics and Deputy Course Director for the Master of Dietetics course at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. She is an Early Career Researcher in the Institute for Physical Activity and Nutrition (IPAN). Her research targets the link between pregnancy nutrition and the impact on maternal and neonatal health and disease (gestational diabetes and cardiovascular disease). She is interested in assessing risk factors for micronutrient deficiencies (in particular vitamin D) in pregnancy, and exploring opportunities for improved access to adequate nutrition within antenatal healthcare systems.
- 5.00pm: Refreshments and networking
- 5.45pm: Welcome – Professor Vicky Karkou
- 6.00pm: Plenary – Dr Paige van der Plight, Deakin University Melbourne https://www.deakin.edu.au/about-deakin/people/paige-van-der-pligt
- 6.30pm: Obesity in pregnancy – Dr Julie Abayomi AHSC https://research.edgehill.ac.uk/en/persons/julie-abayomi
- 6.45pm: Dr Lena Simic, Performing Arts https://research.edgehill.ac.uk/en/persons/lena-simic
- 7.00pm: Refreshments and networking
- 7.15pm: The body in perinatal health – Emma Perris, Dance Movement Psychotherapy https://research.edgehill.ac.uk/en/persons/emma-perris
- 7.30pm: Childbirth Experiences: A salutogenic lens- Giliane McKelvin, Midwifery https://research.edgehill.ac.uk/en/persons/giliane-fenech
- 7.45pm: Closing remarks, Dr Julie Abayomi
This event is a joint venture between the Research Centre for Arts and Wellbeing and the Health Research Institute at Edge Hill University.