This symposium builds on nearly two decades of research and activism in this field at Edge Hill University. Insights will be shared, alongside guest speakers who have personal and professional experience of dealing with sexual abuse and child protection in sport.
There will be an introduction to the new educational resources developed, specifically for the sports community, through a recently completed European project: Voices for Truth and Dignity in Sport.
At the centre of the event is a performance by the Alter Ego drama company who – in collaboration with Edge Hill and NWG Network (the national umbrella organisation working to combat sexual exploitation) have produced an educational play Crossing the Line. The play is aimed at children (11+), specifically those within sport settings, in order to sensitise and educate them in relation to this problem.
- 9.15am – Registration and tea/coffee
- 9.45am – Welcome & Introduction
- 10.00am – Dr Mike Hartill: Child Abuse in Sport: a brief history
- 10.35am – David Lean: Reflections: a personal account
- 11.30am – Dr Mike Hartill: The VOICE Project: research with adults who have been subjected to sexual exploitation in sport
- 12.15pm – Lunch
- 1.15pm – Alter Ego present Crossing the Line: an educational drama on child sexual exploitation in sports, followed by discussion with the cast
- 2.30pm – Break
- 2.50pm – CSE in Sport Officer (CSE National Response Unit, NWG Network): New Initiatives and Developments in Preventing Child Abuse in Sport – Kevin Murphy
- 3.30pm – Dr Melanie Lang: The Child Protection and Safeguarding (ChiPS) Research Network and conclusions
Edge Hill University’s public lectures are photographed and filmed, and some footage posted on the University YouTube channel and website after the event. Please note, photographs and footage may also be used by Edge Hill University for media and publications. Film footage of public lectures will be archived indefinitely for future reference. All attendees should be aware that they may feature in this footage. By registering to attend this event and by accepting tickets, you are giving permission for your image to be photographed and recorded.