‘Byron and the Gothic’
The conference is designed so that students may practice their conference skills in a supportive atmosphere. The conference is organised in conjunction with The Byron Centre, University of Manchester.
Papers are invited from second and third year undergraduates, Masters and first year PhD students on Byron and the Gothic. The conference will be opened by Dr Gavin Hopps (St Andrews), ‘Something that goes bump in the day: thinking through gothic affects’ . The conference will be closed by Bernard Beatty (St Andrews) , ‘Byron and the Gothic and the Gothick’.
All other papers during the day will be presented by students who wish to develop and practice their presentational and conference skills.
Students may write on any aspect of Byron and the Gothic they wish or, they may like to consider papers on such topics as:
- ‘ a bore , a damned bore’ – Matthew Lewis and Byron.
- Dr. Polidori, The Vampyre and Lord Byron.
- Byron and Augustus Darvell.
- ‘Deeds accursed’. Byron, Beckford and Vathek.
- Byron and Newstead Abbey.
- Byron and the Supernatural.
- Byron and Frankenstein.
- Byron and the gothic novel.
- ‘Lines Inscribed upon a Cup Formed from a Skull’.
- Byron and the Gothic in Film
Please send abstracts of no more than 500 words to: email@example.com by Monday, 12th May, 2014.