The conference aims to reflect the reality of midwifery today and considers how the maternity services are able to meet new challenges. Achieving and maintaining autonomy of practice within this environment will be explored. The perspective of a service user will provide insight into the need for change.
The conference will be of interest to midwifery students, midwives or anyone who is concerned about the changes and challenges that face the midwifery profession today.
The key themes of the conference will be:
- Whose tune do we dance to?
- The Human Cost
- Transforming Midwifery
The programme of the day is as follows:
- 8:30am – Registration
- 9:30am – Welcome and Opening (Dr John Cater, Vice-Chancellor at Edge Hill University)
- 9:40am – Today’s Midwifery (Jane Morgan, Head of Midwifery Education and Women’s Health, Edge Hill University)
- 9:45am – Poem (Nadia Aboarook, Student Midwife)
- 9:50am – The Realism of Workforce Delivery (Pat Gould, Team Manager, RCM)
- 10:25am – How to Achieve Autonomy (Deirdrie Turtle, Community Midwife)
- 10:50am – Coffee
- 11:20am – You’ve Got to Have Style! (Lisa Bond, Student Midwife)
- 11:35am – Coping with Contradictions and Conflicting Values in Midwifery (Dr Ruth Deery, Reader in Midwifery, Huddersfield University)
- 12:10pm – Chair’s Summary (Lesley Briscoe, Senior Lecturer, Edge Hill University)
- 12:15pm – Lunch
- 1:30pm – Who Has The Answers (Beverley Beech, Chair AIMS)
- 2:05pm – Dilemmas in Practice (Dr Mark Clement-Jones, Consultant Obstetrician, Liverpool Women’s NHS Trust)
- 2:30pm – A Crisis in Confidence (Rachael Evans, Student Midwife)
- 2:45pm – Remodelling the Maternity Service (Trish Dunmore, Directorate Manager, Liverpool Women’s NHS Trust)
- 3:20pm – A Consumer’s Need for Transformation (Abi Yaffe)
- 3:35pm – Transformation in Practice (Michelle Dower, Student Midwife)
- 3:50pm – Chair’s Summary (Catherine McEvilly, Senior Lecturer in Midwifery, Edge Hill University)
- 3:55pm – Close (Seth Crofts, Dean of Health, Edge Hill University)
The cost of the event is £15 for students, £35 for non-students. To book your place, please contact Peter Weatherill on 01695 650738 or email email@example.com.