Edge Hill’s Fastrack course has led to a wealth of opportunities for dedicated volunteer Rachel, who had no idea which direction to go in when she left school.

Rachel McAvoy, age 19 from Liverpool, initially decided against going to university because she didn’t know what she wanted to do. English was the subject she most enjoyed, however as several members of her family have successful law careers, she was also drawn to this idea.

After securing an apprenticeship and gaining an insight into how a law firm is run, Rachel decided that law wasn’t for her.

“When a family member told me about Fastrack, I discovered the course offered a pathway which would allow me a place on an English degree without having to go back to college and do resits so I decided to apply,” said Rachel.

“I thought that I was going to be the youngest person on the course and subsequently before I had even applied I felt as if I would be judged. Thankfully this assumption couldn’t have been further from the truth.”

Rachel is a keen volunteer and has completed a number of fundraising missions with the aim of helping as many people as she can.

“Providing aid to people in need is incredibly important to me and it’s a huge part of my life,” said Rachel. “I have done all sorts of fundraising from raising money and collecting food for the local food bank, to volunteering in the local Red Cross charity shop and helping build an allotment in the local school premises for future generations to look after and enjoy.

“I am so thankful for the Fastrack course because it has given me the opportunity to study English at degree level, and it has helped give me the confidence to reach my full potential. I know how many doors the next three years will open and I am more than excited to see where they lead.

“I’m looking forward to starting my degree in September and getting involved with the local community in Ormskirk.”

Margaret Forsyth, one of Rachel’s tutors, said:

“Rachel is a really enthusiastic student who has sound potential. What impressed me was her ability to think outside the box and her willingness to share ideas. Having produced some good work in her assessments, I am confident that she will do well in her future undergraduate studies.”

Fastrack is an intensive, free programme for adults. It has been designed to provide the skills and knowledge to prepare participants for an Edge Hill degree.

Click here for more information.