Jessica Tillings
BA (Hons) Creative Writing, 2017

Networking

To succeed in the creative arts, it’s not enough simply to complete a degree in the area of your practice. You must be willing to get out into the world, make contacts, and find opportunities to develop your art in real-life contexts. While doing her degree, Jessica had the opportunity to take on some very important extra-curricular roles that helped her gain essential work-related experience and launch her own career as a poet.

As well as taking on the role of Editor of the Black Market Re-view, an Edge Hill Creative Writing student-led literary journal, she was Editorial Assistant of The Wolf, an internationally renowned magazine that publishes poetry from new and established poets. She even found time to be an intern with Edge Hill University Press (EHUP). While working on an anthology of poetry for EHUP , she made invaluable contacts that led to her being one of 60 poets commissioned to produce brand new collaborative works for The Enemies Project North by North West Poetry Tour: a celebration of experimental, dynamic resurgence in literary and avant-garde poetry. She was also invited to present her research and poetry project, Self Anti/Anatomic ♀, at the University’s GenSex research group.

“This experience has enabled me to gain a fuller understanding of the process of putting together and publishing a book. It has allowed me to build on the skills and knowledge I’ve learned on my course and will help me pursue my career goal of working in publishing as an editor.”

Jessica Tillings