Harriet Hirshman
BA (Hons) Creative Writing and Film Studies, 2016
MA Creative Writing

Harriet Hirshman

Harriet Hirshman started her undergraduate degree knowing little more than that she wanted to write, and left with an ambition to be a short story author while pursuing a career in publishing.

When Edge Hill University Press (EHUP) was launched, Harriet applied to be an intern to help her gain valuable industry skills, build contacts and improve her own writing. Working as part of a small team, she helped to assemble, edit and launch the imprint’s first publication, a short story anthology entitled Head Land. Harriet was responsible for planning the launch events and became well versed in booking venues and performers and meeting with promoters. She is now the intern for the Edge Hill Short Story Prize and is using the skills she learnt while working for EHUP to liaise with publishers and to promote the Prize. Harriet believes these experiences will give her the edge when it comes to applying for publishing jobs in the future.

“The course taught me how to be more disciplined and critical of my own work, things that I came to realise were essential to becoming a better writer. I also enjoyed discussing other people’s work with them too. This led me to discover how other people approach writing which will help me greatly in the publishing industry if I need to help other writers develop.”

Harriet Hirshman