Liam McMahon
BA (Hons) Creative Writing, 2016

Liam McMahon

One of the biggest challenges of any aspiring writer is balancing the need to write and the desire to live a comfortable life. It’s easy to say “writing is everything to me”, but reality often says that’s not enough – at least not initially. Liam McMahon wanted a career that would allow him to continue to work on his writing while giving him an income to actually enjoy life.

Using the transferable skills he gained on his course and through working for Edge Hill University Press – time management, organisation and leadership – Liam secured a graduate job with the civil service, managing a ministerial and public communications team, ensuring all information is clear, timely and professional. He continues with his creative writing in his spare time and is currently working on developing his craft with the view to producing and publishing a short story collection in the next few years. After his positive undergraduate experience at Edge Hill, Liam’s long-term ambition is to study for a Masters in Creative Writing.

“I’m certain that my internship with Edge Hill University Press, including the publication of short story book Head Land, was pivotal to securing my current job and I am incredibly grateful to all those who were involved and helped to make the project happen.”

Liam McMahon