|Department:||Early Years Education|
|Current position:||Early Years Lecturer|
|Location:||Ormskirk Main Campus, Faculty of Education|
Alicia has undertaken many roles over the past 23 years, as an Early Years practitioner, FE lecturer, Early Years consultant, Head of Department and Head of Primary in various educational establishments nationally and internationally.
Alicia is passionate about research informed practice with a special interest in the emotional impact of human interactions. She has recently worked on a project as part of her PhD research that looks at the moral connection between assessment and emotional development in Early Childhood Education. This study has set the foundations of her Doctoral research which will be based on the use of assessment methods to support the development of emotional competence.
She supports families and Early Years practitioners nationally and internationally with a focus on observing and understanding emotional responses. The connections she has made through the work she has done with children in small communities in Nepal, India and Jordan has inspired a lot of her investigations. It is her aim to work towards equality and social justice and she intends to use her research to offer children opportunities to develop emotional stability.
- HND ECE, PGCE FE HE, QTLS, MA Early Childhood Education
Currently working on a PhD in Education and Social Justice and thesis at Lancaster University.
- Interactions with young children
- Human connections
- Developing early communication skills
- Bilingualism from birth
- Assessment in Early Childhood Education
- The development of emotional competence
- The moral connection between assessment and emotional development
- Blanco-Bayo, A. (2017) Learning to talk, talking to learn. IAFOR Journal of Education. https://papers.iafor.org/tag/student-learning-learner-experiences-and-learner-diversity/
Education Today Magazine contributions:
- (May 2017) Not only Mathematics, but a lot more! https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETMay2017/html/index.html?page=13
- (Nov 2017) Spontaneity makes learning meaningful https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETNov2017/html/index.html?page=19&origin=reader
- (May 2018) Ready, steady … let’s go to school! https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETMay2018/html/index.html?page=20&origin=reader
- (June 2018) Experiences shape our emotions https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETJune2018/html/index.html?page=20&origin=reader
- (July 2018) Assessing uniqueness https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETJulAug2018/html/index.html?page=20&origin=reader
- (Dec 2018) How can children’s dreams be put in boxes? https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETDec2018/html/
- (Feb 2019) “Organised chaos? just let it go.” https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETFeb2019/html/index.html?page=20&origin=reader
- (March 2019) Early Years Practitioners: REAL-LIFE Researchers. https://content.yudu.com/web/69r/0Aiy7k/ETMAR2019/html/index.html?page=20&origin=reader
Knowledge transfer and enterprise:
- Member of Early Education (The British Association for Early Childhood Education)
- Member of Society for Education and Training
- Education Show (2016 & 2017)— Presentations on “Parental engagement” and “Planning for Continuous Provision”
- Education Experts Dubai (May 2016)—Presentation- Observing young children.
- ECE Nepal Conference (October 2016)—Training session-Using Observations to inform planning.
- European Conference on Education IAFOR (July 2017)—Conference presentation of Research paper- Learning to talk, talking to learn.
- Optimus Education (April 2017)—Training session-Planning for Continuous provision
- Bethel Baptist Academy (October 2017)—Teacher training events—Using a hands-on approach to support emotional development. Workshops with parents-Connecting with young children through play.
- BECERA Conference (February 2019)—Conference presentation of research paper-“I’m 4, what should assessment do for me?”
- CRP Collateral Repair Project (April 2019)—Teacher training sessions and Parental engagement workshops
- Regular contributor Education Today Magazine
- GKA EDU 2019 Conference— 8th Education and Learning Congress- Conference presentation; “I’m 4, what should assessment do for me?”